Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    N
    ndw Offline
    N
    I wish you and your DD well greenlotus. You have had excellent clarification and advice. Think of testing as an information gathering task. Information is useful for you to make decisions as much as it is for the school.

We chose a small high school, no middle school here and high starts in yr 7, for exactly the same reason you did, we didn't want DD to be lost in the crowd. It is good as it worked from that perspective. The downside is that there are fewer teachers and fewer class streams. It is harder to juggle a timetable when she is subject accelerated as different years can't have the same subject at the same time! However, she has peers across all age groups which is helpful now she is full grade accelerating. All choices have upsides and downsides but our DD consistently exceeds our expectations and yours will too. And I don't think it is because we set the level of expectation too low, kids are just full of so much more than we can clearly see.

There are so many kids who have issues with organisation. Our DD improved when she went to High School because it was meaningful to her to be more organised, because she had to be and because she had friends around her who modelled more organised behaviour. Her best friend would regularly reorganise her locker with her and the GT/special Ed teacher gave her an organiser for her locker. Now she talks about helping other kids with their lockers.

All these skills can be learned to different extents, some kids take longer but seeing how other kids do it was a big help for us. These are skills, locker organisation, moving between classes, remembering to have books and materials etc, that couldn't be modelled for her until she was actually in the environment using them and watching other kids managing.

Take a deep breath. Tell your DD to show what she knows and the test will work out what that is, nothing more. Once you have the results, go from there. Best wishes.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Thank you all for advice and best wishes. I try to discuss this with friends and acquaintances, but as many here have experienced, it doesn't always work so well. I don't know what I would do if I hadn't found this forum!!
    I just heard back from the school psychologist. She is busy transferring my daughter's answers in the test booklet to the answer sheet (and getting double checked by 2 people!! per district policy). She will give the test to the district AIG dept. next Tues.
    I know that I am nervous during this round of testing. DD has done the Cogat, Iowa, WISC, etc., etc. and done very well. Woodcock Johnson - not as good so that haunts me.
    So, per advice here, taking BIG breath and petting the kitty.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    I find waiting hard too. If it helps and doesn't elevate the anxiety, I like to make a list of what next if the outcome is what I hope for and what if it isn't. Both are useful.

For example, If your DD came out strongly on maths etc but less so on science and social studies and you want to keep pursuing a grade skip then you have useful info. You could look at further compacting Maths and buy time to bolster her exposure to science etc. that way when she skips she will be even better prepared.

In the meantime, think happy thoughts and don't doubt your child for a second. Tests provide information and we need to provide interpretation. Let us know how you go.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM