Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    I'm sure that you guys have heard the sports analogy, but I will persist.

If you have a child who has a rare gift for swimming, say, and has the potential to become an Olympic athlete, then you don't tell him (or her) that he can swim fast enough. You don't make him sit on the sidelines and watch while the other kids try to catch up. If you have a kid who can make baskets from the three-point line, you don't park them on the bench during the game so that other kids can improve their basket-making skills. And if you have a child who can paint or play the violin, then you don't make them sit quietly and watch while the other kids practice. Why should academics be any different?

It is because we value individual talents in all areas, except in academics. In academics, you are expected to be part of the herd.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    You couldn't be more right. I'll never tire of hearing that analogy because it's relevant.

Okay, I will go back to being mild, mannered me now. I just feel that there is a letter to Newsweek that is trying to get out. I'll have to sit down, write it out, and I will feel better. (even if I don't mail it off!)

The book that you mentioned, fitzi, looks really interesting. I will have to investigate it. My DS definitely fits in the category of loving the big concepts enough that he rushes over the small details.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    ROFL!!!

Okay, bye all, I'm over to Amazon now.

F
    F
    Neato:

I didn't know Amazon had an actual store. By the way, Singapore math has its own site (you probably know), though their shipping charges are criminal.

FWIW (and I am the opposite of an expert), the book I just mentioned advocates not holding mathematically-avid kids until they master factual knowledge and computational skill. Rather, they advise letting the children run with the concepts, and circling back as required along the way to fill in gaps. I suspect, though, that the dynamics are different if you are teaching at home than they would be in a school setting.

Last edited by fitzi; 07/22/08 09:13 AM.
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by ebeth
    No Dottie... I'm just hopefully optimistic! And I haven't been fighting this fight long enough to have the optimism driven out yet.

I still have visions of writing my congressman, sending letters to presidential campaigns, and writing an essay for Newsweek's My Turn, and marching on Washington. Or at least running for the school board of education. <evil grin>

I worry that if all of the gifted students get fed up with the school system and bail to the safe confines of homeschooling, then things will never change. I'm still in the "up-in-arms" stage of denial. Give me a few months or a year and I will simmer down a bit. wink

I'm in the same state. I've visited my congressman, written letters, etc. I'm probably not going to give up.

My cynical side fears that the schools are happier without the gifted kids, because they're so much more work. And teachers don't get bonuses or rewards for doing more work, so there's very little to motivate them.

Val

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    Thanks Dottie. grin

98th, 99th percentile. That is a tiny part of the population. The school's responsibility is the whole group. They can't expend massive amounts of time and resources catering to 2%. I don't even think that would be right.
    But, I am a taxpayer and they do have to be flexible with me in my quest to properly educate my child.
    If they can do that, I'm more than happy.
    My child, my responsibility. DH and I have the largest stake in that process, it's good to be realistic.

I respectfully disagree. Those 2% of kids are the ones with the highest probability of being the inventors, leaders, and entrepreneurs of tomorrow. They're the ones with the most potential to do beneficial things for society and we ignore them. Helping them excel will ultimately help everyone. Ignoring them harms their development AND sends a bad message. Other developed nations see this and group by ability. We don't in the name of phony egalitarianism.

Val

Yes ebeth!!! I loved that part in "The Incredibles"

smile

Nope, CFK, I am right with you!!!! smile

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM