Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 119 of 268 1 2 117 118 119 120 121 267 268
    P
    Pru Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by flower
    Pru- that is so sweet... What are you going to do with "Puppy's Poem"- Frame it?
    Yes, I thought of that, except the last line is written on the back. Maybe one of those double-sided frames, then. wink

Last edited by Pru; 07/08/11 10:02 AM.
    We went camping this weekend with some friends. One of the adults pointed to a star and proclaimed it the North star. My DS6 told him he was wrong, that the North star is always in line with the Big Dipper. To which my 5 yo added "it's not bright cuz it's summer". The look on the guys face was priceless!

Apparently these two have been paying attention when they're 8yo brother is giving them Astronomy lessons.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    O
    O
    That awesome, I love the jaw droppers, these kids can get.

Last edited by onthegomom; 07/11/11 06:55 PM.
    smile I wish this thread had a like button, I love reading all these stories but I don't always know what to say smile

L
    L
    DD8 has been "getting in touch" with what it might feel like if nothing existed. NO people, no planets, no stars - just the nothingness.

He'll just stop and focus... wait a moment and exclaim after he 'feels' it, "It goes so quickly!"

B
    B
    DD15 was on a walk yesterday when she saw a dog near a creek that seemed extremely hot, wet, and dirty. She looked around, but couldn't locate the owner of the dog. She couldn't get the dog to follow her home, so she sprinted back home to get her cell phone (she had forgotten it) to try to call the phone numbers on the collar. When she arrived back, she whistled for the dog and it looked like it had left. After several minutes of looking around, she saw it all the way on the other side of the creek. She ran all the way around and was able to get a hold of the dog and call the number of the owner but he didn't answer. In addition to the owner's cell phone number, the dog had a tag and phone number for a microchip company, so she called that number and gave the dog's ID # (which was also on the tag), and the company was able to get her through to the owner somehow, who was frantic and said the the dog was actually deaf and only had half vision, and lived on the other side of an extremely busy street from where DD found her, which he is amazed she was able to cross, with her limited senses. The man drove up, retrieved the poor dog who had, apparently in a break-in attempt at the man's house (while he was at work), escaped, possibly many hours before, in the 102 degree heat. The man gave her *100 dollars* for the ordeal. (which she refused at first, but he explained that the dog was all he had, and that she probably wouldn't have survived much longer with her health problems, and practically forced it on DD) She went into it just wanting to help the dog and reunite it with the owner, and ended up walking away with a good little cash reward. I know anyone could have done something like that, and it was mostly just luck that it happened, but I still couldn't be prouder of her actions and her perseverance with the whole ordeal.

T
    T
    wowee, what a wonderful thing your daughter did.. you should be very proud of her.

A
    A
    you can scan and photoshop so it's more frame-able but still her handwriting then keep the real one somewhere safe smile

Wow! I read your post about the dog and burst into tears! What a great kid! She was running around in the 102 degree heat and doing such a good deed.

What a great example of real life, thinking-on-your feet problem solving skills by your daughter! She headed off a lot of heartache today!

Page 119 of 268 1 2 117 118 119 120 121 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM