Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    RPM9 #20714 07/20/08 11:33 AM
    Ah! Yes, I see. Thanks for clarifying, and I'm sorry to take so long to get us there! Thanks for your patience! smile

We have none of the talented stuff, so we don't have that sort of strict definition. The only programs we have are for gifted (aka GT) kids. (Such as they are...not much!)

Kriston
    Beware, gifted and talented can also be used to mean, IQ and performs to the subjective standards of teachers. It can and has been used to keep out "certain" kids who qualify by IQ but who the teachers don't like. And I'm not talking about strictly behavior issues, this can include kids who ask too many questions.
    Remember last year, K teacher tried to block DD6 from going to enrichment because in her brilliant(heavy sarcasm) estimation DD was not "The cream of the crop". Then she tried to dismiss her IQ test as evidence because she "didn't understand it". And the teacher is the ultimate decsion maker in this regard. The principal blocked her, but if she wanted to go to the mat on it, DD wouldn't have gone to the K "gifted program" last year. Now granted, it's not all that great, but a heck of a lot better than learning her alphabet the whole day.

RPM9 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    Devil's advocate alert:
    How would anyone know if a child is out of place in a gifted program? Clearly you couldn't be privy to this child's testing results.

Results, no.

However, I know if they're SNAP or not. If you run a SNAP program you sort of need to know who the SNAP kids are. Not scores tho, no.

Did other kids end up being inserted into the program who shouldn't have been? More than several!

"Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve." -Roger Lewin
    Yes, that's one of the reasons I'm in favor of erring slightly on the side of inclusion rather than exclusion, 'Neato. I don't want the "this child is taking someone else's spot" used to keep out kids who are really GT for dumb reasons.

Kriston
    I'm out too, before I vomit all over my laptop.

Peace out,
    Neato

RPM9 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Ah! Yes, I see. Thanks for clarifying, and I'm sorry to take so long to get us there! Thanks for your patience! smile

We have none of the talented stuff, so we don't have that sort of strict definition. The only programs we have are for gifted (aka GT) kids. (Such as they are...not much!)

Oh man, I WISH the Talented stuff would go away. District is on the right track for keeping the terms VERY separate. Thank goodness.

Talented programs are for kids and their parents who want to be involved in programs with their kids. A good thing, mind you, but it can be taken to the extreme and there are a handful of parents who will do just that. <sigh>

"Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve." -Roger Lewin
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    But I think there is a grey area, and I'm okay with exploring that a little. People are not black and white...guess I would rather err on the side of inclusion just a wee bit than exclude kids who belong.

In our district students who have borderline scores or have really high scores in a particular area (but not overall) are put in a "Challenge" pull-out. This is especially beneficial to the low-SES students who have not had a home environment conducive to intellectual development. We have found that many low-SES students later score in the gifted range after being exposed to enrichment activities in a challenge class for a year or two.

Ooh! I like that, TS! What a smart solution.

Kriston
    acs Offline
    Originally Posted by Texas Summer
    In our district students who have borderline scores or have really high scores in a particular area (but not overall) are put in a "Challenge" pull-out. This is especially beneficial to the low-SES students who have not had a home environment conducive to intellectual development. We have found that many low-SES students later score in the gifted range after being exposed to enrichment activities in a challenge class for a year or two.

This made me smile! I hope there are other districts doing the same!

acs #20778 07/21/08 10:04 AM
    Originally Posted by acs
    This made me smile! I hope there are other districts doing the same!

I'm glad I could share something to make you smile, acs. Yes, I would love to see other districts adopt this policy. Identification of minority, ESL, and low-SES students is a big topic right now in the academic GT community so hopefully this type of policy will become more widespread.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM