Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 128 of 131 1 2 126 127 128 129 130 131
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    So quickly do we become mere decorative accessories!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    J
    J
    DYS10 had finished his piano lesson and we were waiting on his sister, when a girl came in for a make-up lesson. She sat down and started sketching. My son was quietly talking to himself and I wasn't paying attention.

The girl looks up from her sketch pad and starts saying the same numbers as my son, in unison. When they finish, she says, "I like Pi." He says, "I do too. Let's start again." The girl got to 30 digits and my son 45. Then they happily chatted away until it was time to go.

It always makes me so happy when my son meets someone who appreciates his quirks.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Adorable! I'm sure she appreciated the moment as much as he did.

One of my children may or may not have a favorite shirt that says "cutie [pi]" on it...

Last edited by aeh; 05/14/18 02:25 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    N
    N
    JessicaJune, that's an adorable story!

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    This was not my kid but I thought it was funny.

DS10’s teacher was talking about how teaching gifted kids is different. On a recent math test the question included the instructions “defend your answer”. One of my son’s classmates wrote his answer and then surrounded it with a drawing of barbed wire, towers, and a moat.

DD13 and I were at the movie theater, and were treated to a preview of the upcoming Incredibles sequel, which included this dialog:

Originally Posted by preview
    Dash: Dad, you're doing it wrong. We're supposed to do it like this! [shows book]

Bob: Why did they have to go and change math? Math is math!!

DD says, "Dad, that's YOU!"

A
    A
    Oh Dude, she’s got your number!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    T
    T
    Went to DD7’s third grade parents night and the teacher talked a bit about the kids’ book reports.
    DD7 had insisted on doing HP5 (we talked her out of doing HP7 on account of its not being fair to spoil the ending for the large majority of kids in her grade who hadnt read the series yet). A boy did HP1 so he went first and DD7 after. English not being our first language, and formal English lessons only having started at the beginning of third grade, the boy mispronounced Hermione’s last name as Grung-gahr.
    DD7 gets up for her report, turns to the boy (who’s probably 9 or going to be soon) and tells him “[dude], it’s Hemione Grainn-jjer!” And, the teacher said, she did this in such a charming and endearing way the boy totally accepted it!

I know I still haven’t completely gotten over my compulsive corrector’s habit, and would have been completely incapable of stopping myself at DD’s age, so I am very happy that somehow at least she is managing to do it in a socially acceptable way.

Probably helps that she is much cuter than I ever was...and teachers like her and have been in complete support of the grade skip.

Last edited by Tigerle; 05/16/18 01:05 AM.
    A
    A
    DS6’s handwriting has been slow to progress, and slow to be produced, but is getting there nicely thanks to a great effort on DS’ part. Yesterday, he tried cursive for the first time, and his writing turned out beautifully! Why didn’t I think of that before? Of course it’s easier to make a fluid motion than several disjointed ones. Duh, aquinas!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    G
    G

A) DD13 (just barely) creates her own fonts for fun. She took it a step further by creating a new alphabet with it's own upper and lower case letters which has now morphed into a new language (past tense, future, etc)

B) DD will not study and truly does not see the need so I often ask her to "practice studying" so when that day comes that she needs the skills she will have them.

C) I walked into her room today, and she had sheet after sheet of writing in a notebook. She had used her new language to write out her math notes for the geometry final.

I just love this kid!!!!!

Page 128 of 131 1 2 126 127 128 129 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM