Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 67 of 102 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 101 102
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Mana
    Originally Posted by Ivy
    How about a roundup of atypical costume requests?

DD at 22 months wanted to be the sun.

Oh, this reminds me of DD's astronomy phase last year. She too wanted to be the sun and she wanted to round up 8 friends so they can dress up as planets and orbit around her.

She still thinks she ought to be the center of her parents' universe but she is slowly learning that with just about everyone else, it doesn't quite work that way.

we have a shop here called the pumpkin patch, dd wanted to wear a dress from there because well it was a pumpkin patch dress.

K
    K
    Our eldest wanted to be a disco ball one year.

N
    N
    Not quite three, DS vociferously declined be a scarecrow, but I did suggest he wear his red waterproof jumpsuit and yellow raincoat ("in case it rains"), his pull-on red puddle jumper boots ("in case it's muddy), and his firefighter helmet (because he liked it). At the doors, when people said "what have we here? Oh, a firefighter!" DS solemnly corrected them: "No, I'm NOT a firefighter, I'm DRESSED as a firefighter"

Fast forward 20 years, DS is a theater major. Not a method actor, apparently.

R
    R
    DS was a Mini Cooper this year, which luckily is the same thing he was last year. DH took a rubbermaid bin and cut a hole in it and then attached wheels from an old stroller and made a windshield out of an old trash can we had. It's adorable and pretty sturdy! A little heavy for a little 3 year old though. I'm hoping he'll be good with wearing it next year too. smile

NotherBen, my son is also a little thrown off by dress-up. I think he's a little worried that his disguise is too good? Or just wants to make sure everyone has their facts straight...

N
    N
    Readermom, like many gifted kids, DS is passionate about truth. I think that's why theater appeals to him, it's a way to reveal the truth!

M
    M
    aquinas, I have a story to share with you, now that your DS is going through a human anatomy phase.

DD fell on her knees one day at a park. It wasn't a bad fall but she seemed to be in pain so I made the mistake of telling her if the pain doesn't subside, we might have to take her to the doctor. For a few days, she kept on insisting that she couldn't walk and wanted to be carried around everywhere. I was skeptical since I caught her walking a few times when she thought I wasn't watching. Still, after 3 days of limping and hopping, I took her to her pediatrician's office and his partner was working that day. He was speechless about DD (3.5 back then) going on and on about how she felt radiating pain originating from a spot located beneath her left patella and that she suspected a possible fracture. He asked me if she was really 3 and I just nodded.

After seeing her limp around in her office almost in tears, he ordered a x-ray and we had to take her to a children's hospital that's out of the way because, well, they are more used to children.

As soon she was done, she started walking just fine and asked me with a huge grin, "When can I look at my x-rays?"

We pay 20% co-pay.

LAF Offline
    My DS10 is TV obsessed right now (animated Star Wars, Marvel etc.). They have a project in his class at school about Native Americans, and he was assigned Inuit (which I thought he would love) to do a report on. This morning he told me he thought Native Americans were boring (which I do not agree with at all, in fact I am so into this project I have to hold myself back from obsessively researching the Inuit myself.) So I asked him what he was interested in right now, fully expecting to hear about something Star Wars or Marvel related. Instead he said he wanted to learn more about genetics....

P
    P
    LAF - not to get serious in a quirks thread, but might he have the freedom to combine the two topics? There's lots of great possibilities, such as what we know about where humans originated from and migrated to, based on genetics of populations - where did the Inuit come from, how do we know they crossed the Bering Strait during an ice age, etc. Or unique health and disease patterns in the Inuit that relate to shared genetics? Or to get really serious, issues that genetically-isolated populations have with researchers loving to use them as guinea pigs for all sorts of genetic-tracing studies, and maybe how this kind of research can be done well to benefit the health and well-being of the studied population? I could go on - as you can see, I love genetics too!

LAF Offline
    MichelleC - fantastic idea! smile

T
    T
    When she applies the mathematical "rule of isolation" to the election turnout discussion. And then insists that you post it on this thread.

Page 67 of 102 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM