Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 68 of 102 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 101 102
    When your DD9, who already had enough instruments to start a band, is just two months into learning to play the flute, and drops this line:

"For my next instrument, I'm going to pick the violin."

[pause while she observes the horror-stricken face of the parent who just coughed up several hundred dollars for a new flute]

"I mean after I master the flute. In about a year or two."

M
    M
    Dude, I can relate. DD wants a drum kit for Christmas. She asks me to take her to music stores that sell drum kits all the time. I told her we are not paying for more music lessons. She says she'll teach herself how to play by watching youtube videos.

I told her that we are not getting her a drum set since if we get anymore instruments squeezed into our tiny apartment, we'll have nowhere to eat or sleep. She says she'll give up her playroom and toys to house the drum kit since she is too old to be playing toys anyway (it is true that she never plays with her toys; we keep them around for play dates).

I have to think about this but I really don't want to live with a drum kit.

C
    C
    The electronic ones may not be so bad (and are head-phonable I think).

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Mana
    it is true that she never plays with her toys; we keep them around for play dates.

This is worthy of a separate post. We tend to keep a backlog of toys DS has outgrown for play dates, too.

Go for the drums- SO much fun!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    ... when your 15yo college student impishly notes that she nearly missed her math professor's apologetic plea to the class to be sure to at least LOOK past the first quiz question so that they can look up how they would approach the last problem...

WHY?

Oh, because she was busy finishing the LAST question at the time.

"Mom, it was this AWESOME angular momentum problem!" Then she provided me with details, including excited and expansive hand motions, and sighed wistfully. "Physics is SO BEAUTIFUL with calculus. SO beautiful."

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    We have a drum-playing child. We do have a full acoustic kit, but if you're short on space (physical and sound), I'd vote for electronic drums. Or a sound-proof room. You need headphones one way or the other, as you don't want to blow out your ears while you're only a child. Our drum teacher just suggested not buying a kit at all initially, but using a practice pad only, at the beginning, to work on stick control and rhythm patterns.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma

"Mom, it was this AWESOME angular momentum problem!" Then she provided me with details, including excited and expansive hand motions, and sighed wistfully. "Physics is SO BEAUTIFUL with calculus. SO beautiful."

That is awesome because physics is beautiful with calculus...

LAF Offline
    ... when your 15yo college student impishly notes that she nearly missed her math professor's apologetic plea to the class to be sure to at least LOOK past the first quiz question so that they can look up how they would approach the last problem...

WHY?

While I never understood physics or calculus that well (my mind works in a different way) I completely and utterly understand finding the intense beauty in something that few others see/understand. I actually got happy reading your post because I love that she felt that way.

I think I would feel that way about microbiology or archaeology for instance...

M
    M
    Yes, if we were to get a drum kit, it'd have to be a digital one but if I recall correctly, even the cheapest model was around $500.

No drums around here for awhile.

SO is a competent drummer so he could teach her the basics but I already tried that with piano and it doesn't work with DD as she thinks we're not "real" musicians.

B
    B

WHY?

Love this. Physics with Calculus is so beautiful isn't it. Wish my school district understood this better and offered AP Physics C for the kids who have completed calculus already.

Page 68 of 102 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM