Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 33 of 102 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 101 102
    K
    K
    When the Director of your child's preschool tells you she will help you lobby the
    School district for a change to a school that is not in your zone for next school year because it has a program for HG+ kids.

G
    G
    DD caught and corrected a typo on her homework sheet given to her by her teacher. Her teacher is pregnant, so we'll chalk it up to pregnancy brain:-)

S
    S
    When your 3 year old DD screams, "Mommy! Come look at my poop! It looks like a constellation! I think it's like Orion."

When your 5 year old comes home from school and says his teacher is having a baby in May so that means the baby started growing in her belly in August. When asked how he knows he says I know because my brain told me.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by BrooklynMom
    This is my first day on this blog and it is useful already. My DD is 11. She has been "different" since the beginning. Excels at something (drew these amazing people-like figures for HOURS at 3) and then moves on. She learns German for fun (can't wait to learn Russian at her Bolshoi ballet intensive this summer) and Mandarin at school. But her perfectionism, anxiety, and will DRIVE US CRAZY. Help?

My dd loved this book. http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Teens-Guide-Living-Intensity/dp/1935067001

You're child, who hasn't officially learned fractions, watches you add 3/4 cups of flour to a bowl by filling the 1/4 cup measuring cup three times and tells you it would have been easier to use 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup.

L
    L
    When you get a book on bones and muscles from the Library for your DD4 and she says with genuine appreciation," Thank you mom. I have been wanting a book like this for a long time now."

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    When your DS2.25 pulls a kindergarten Singapore Math book (that Mum bought on a steep discount purely on spec) off the shelf and shouts gleefully, "It's a numbers book! Let's read it!" Then he asks to do the first few pages orally, gets every question right, and runs away suddenly to throw his ball.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    ...your 8 year old comes up to you when you are busy doing something else, so you tell her to wait "just a second". You abruptly finish what you are doing and look up to see she is staring off as she patiently waits. You ask what she needs, she proceeds to tell you, and that is that...or so you think. As she walks off she nonchalantly mentions to you that it was 5 seconds, not "just a second". You shake your head and look in the direction she was staring to realize she was staring at the grandfather clock and was watching the pendulum tick off the seconds.

Lil' smart aleck! Gotta love her!!!

... your DD14, a high school senior in her last semester, decides to add a class.

An AP class.

AP Art History.

Second semester.

Four weeks late (five by the time she gets a textbook, probably).

Oh, not offered this year? What about APUSH?

Well, what about semester B, then?

And it takes all of five minutes for HER to convince the school counselor and class teacher that this is a fine idea.

And none of those people even talk to you about this before doing it.

And you have to admit that all in all, it wasn't a bad set of decisions on anyone's part, necessarily. You're just... surprised.

{blink. blink.}

On second thought, this might be a distinctly HG+ to PG thing to have happen.

Update: After 20 hours, DD has already polished off the first two days' worth of APUSH, and her only remarks have been elation that the material is interesting and that she's enjoying herself... but that she can see how most students would find the reading load "crushing." She finds it delightful that there is actually a meaningful amount of material to sink her teeth into and analyze. 150 pages of reading today? Pffft-- no problem.

She'll be happier when she doesn't have to do it all on the computer, however.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 33 of 102 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM