Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 325 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    OP Offline
    when he accidentally wrote a letter backwards, he could see that it was wrong immediately because a b where a d was supposed to be would cause the word to be wrong.

Know what's frustrating? GS8 will write a 'd' intending to make a 'b', and when asked to read it back immediately, will read it as a 'b'. If the paper is laid aside for a few days and he reads it back, he will see the error immediately. This makes it very hard for him to check his own work. The only time he will read a 'd' for a 'b' is when he encounters a new word, but the majority of the time he will sound it out with both a 'd' or a 'b' and know which it is because he will recognize the word. This applies to some other letters, the 'b' & 'd' are the worst.

And he still has problems remembering which hand to hold over his heart when saying the pledge to the flag. He is getting smoother handling his show calves, where a lead is held in one hand and a show stick in the other. When the calf is stopped, you turn to face the calf and switch the lead & stick to opposite hands. This sounds minor, but it's been a struggle for him for 8 months. (BTW, the show stick is used to scratch the calf's belly because the calf enjoys it, and to gently move it's feet in the correct position when standing.)

L
    L
    My son would sometimes accidentally play the right hand notes with his left hand in piano and he had a little more trouble than the other kids remembering if he needed to exit to the stage left or right in musical theater. He had to make notes in his script. But there are things about him that make absolutely no sense to me if he has a slight problem remembering left or right. He has a better sense of direction than I do and is less likely to get lost in a huge hospital complex that I think resembles a giant maze. If he is having trouble with left and right issues inside these buildings, he is compensating for it really well and he can't tell me how he does it. I have to follow him or ask someone how to get back to the parking lot. It is almost like he inherited his dad's ability with figuring out how to get from one place to another. His dad was in the army and sometimes had to lead troops in the dark where there were no signs or even roads and having a good sense of direction could mean the difference between life and death. I don't understand how it is possible to have a good feel for north, south, east and west but sometimes get right and left confused, but my son does this.

For example, the last time my son did a play, they went from practicing in a room where he was exiting to the north and south and they moved to a stage where he was exiting to the east or west and he had to stop and think which way to go. It looks to me like right and left would be easier to remember than north and south but he is so different from me--and I am supposed to be homeschooling him. It seems like most of what I am doing is watching him figure out how to do things his own way, which I guess is what he will need to do in life. I think he will need to figure out on his own how to compensate for his learning differences.

M
    M
    Thanks! You have given me a lot to read and think about. His sister is left handed, and in doing some of the tests i find out I'm mixed as well (right handed, left eye). What I am most concerned about is how frustrated he gets in trying to learn or tackle new things. He gets easly frustrated if the task isn't broken down into small steps. Once he understands, and he has great ability to focus. He can work on difficult puzzles for a long time. As he enters Kindergarten, and turns 6, I want to help understand how he learns. His school has been using handwriting without tears. In several cases he can indetify letters sound before he can tell me the name. I think his left brain and right brain need to learn how to talk to each other so he can organize, classify, and recall his thoughts. I'm realizing that we will have to employ all of his sense when teaching him things that need to be recalled, such as letter names. I'm concerned that the first few years of school are going to be tough, and I want to find ways to help. Any recommendations for how to get his left and right brain working together better. I've seen piano (we don't have one)on the board. How about gymanastics? What else?

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Mixed mom
    He kept switching hands and didn't develop much finger strength.

After a school year with weekly OT, we seemed to have settled on writing with our right, but we still use our left alot.

I guess my question is how can I learn more. Thanks!

FWIW: I'm mixed-dominant, with near-full ambidexterity now. I've worked on developing skills with both hands all my life.

I see this as a valuable extra ability and have never, ever tried to exclude/favor one hand. So, I play racket sports with two hands. Switching the racket to my other hand gives me an advantage because I can get to a shot on the other side of the court that would be unreachable if I had to use backhand (but I still use backhand sometimes).

As the years have passed, my ability to write with the non-dominant writing hand (right) has improved considerably. I'm pretty comfortable now writing with my right hand. This is a major, major advantage if I injure my left hand.

I guess I'm trying to understand why you/the OT want your son to "choose" one hand. If he's naturally inclined to use both, what's wrong with letting him do what comes naturally? His writing may lag behind a bit, but in the end, if he can write with two hands, isn't that an advantage?

Also, I remember VERY clearly how sore everyone's hands got when we were learning to write in 1st grade. I can still see a girl named Nyla shaking her hand and saying "Ow! Ow!" I had this problem then too, and it happened later when my comfort level with my right hand changed and I was able to use that hand to write for longer periods.

Just my 2c.

Val

Last edited by Val; 07/17/08 10:25 AM.
    Originally Posted by Mixed mom
    Any recommendations for how to get his left and right brain working together better. I've seen piano (we don't have one)on the board. How about gymanastics? What else?

Martial arts?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM