Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    The school is following CT guidelines for IEP eligibility, with regard to grade/age level achievement being the primary consideration, without, most likely, realizing that there are allowances made in the special ed regulations for 2e learners. The document also clarifies that the aptitude-achievement discrepancy method is specifically not allowed. Other methods, however, such as PSW, are allowed. 2e masking/offsetting of the respective exceptionalities is also mentioned.

See page 60 of this CT document. There is a section which specifically addresses 2e students in LD identification and IEP eligibility:

http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/lib/sde/PDF/DEPS/Special/2010_Learning_Disability_Guidelines_Acc.pdf

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    mom123 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Wow. Thanks so much. I never would have found that on my own.

P
    P
    Great advice so far. 3 more things.

It may be worth looking into what is grade level in more detail. Meaning what are the state mandated items taught in the grade level, and give thought to whether your child can actually participate and benefit from every item at a level similar to the average child of their age. And then you can ask the school how they teach these things.

So for example an expectation in English class (from perhaps an older grade) might be to write a paragraph in class, in about 10-15 minutes, with a topic sentence, some middle bits, and a summarizing sentence at the end. But a child who doesn't complete their work in the time allotted in class, as might a child with both adhd and dysgraphia, will not be able to access paragraph construction instruction/practice similar to the average student. That content could be interpreted as an item where they are not at grade level. Math may be similar, if she is anxious about it because daydreaming and frustration with writing the numbers prevents her from "gaining confidence at addition with numbers up to 20", then she is not achieving what a average 7 year old is in that grade.

Now once in a while every child has an off day, but if she fairly frequently doesn't complete work in class that is itself not meeting grade level expectations (since the work is designed for a low average 7 year old (I am assuming 7 is the average age in her class) to be able to complete it in class.) There are behavioral expectations of grade level, (often called learning to learn, or becoming a student, being an active learner, etc) and the teacher may have interpreted the question of whether she is at grade level to mean "academic achievement only".

So despite a teacher saying they can pass the grade, or even just pass each large subject pot, that doesn't necessarily translate to the child being "at grade level" in each aspect of the grade. And don't be roped into ignoring the non-academic-achievement aspects.

And then 2. Is the teacher doing anything at all in class already that helps her? Really any extra help they give at all, from helping her organize her backpack to reminding her to fill in the answers she left blank or letting her have just an extra minute or two to finish, those are accommodations. They are just informal ones, and the teacher next year may not be so "flexible". Giving accommodations is a good bit of evidence that there is a problem. And are there things the teacher has learned to not do? (For my DS that would be being sure not to mention how much time he has left, as that causes tears causing a work interruption.) You can ask the teacher what they've found to NOT work. And that is an accommodation too, that they are remembering to not use strategies they would for other children. The things the teacher tried that didn't work also show she tried an informal intervention which didn't help.

And then 3, groundwork and school relations.

Make sure to email a thankyou and in it you can outline in just one sentence the concern you had originally, if you had not had a concern put in writing before this is a good time to start. "It was nice to hear the teacher feels she's at grade level. I'm still concerned that she seems to be struggling. I'm very appreciative of everyone's time they took out of their busy day to meet". Or something like that. I've found longer than a few sentences and no one has read beyond the first few.

Most likely what you had as a meeting was an informal meeting that no one has recorded, and hopes never to follow up on. To be the friendliest, I wouldn't send in the "I request a iep or 504 evaluation" letter this week (though you may well end up doing so eventually). They then have a certain number of days, which may end up happening quickly, and you want to have all your ducks in a row first.

Set up after school meetings with the people who do evaluations (OT or school psychologist), and the teacher, etc in a very friendly way. "I just wanted to touch base with you, school OT, to chat, as my DD seems to be struggling with writing and I wanted to see if you might help me understand the school writing curriculum better, and see if we can help her in some way". "Thanks for meeting with me, district special ed coordinator, I was just hoping I could find out how the 504 process works in this district?"

At the very least then the counselor and the OT etc know who your DD is and know her parent is a nice and concerned parent. Hard for that to backfire. In 3 months when the evaluation request comes in they say to themselves, "Oh right i do remember something about them having a lot of perfectionism." (or whatever, and then they are looking for it). It may work out better than that if you can find any of them who will also help you actually understand how the district/school feels about 504s, ieps etc, informally. Tricky, but OTs etc are usually independent to some degree of the school and can sometimes be easier to chat with than a principal or rushed teacher. Also try to find any other parents that have children at the school with plans of any kind. Each school has a way they like to do things and it's very helpful to know ahead of time what that is.

Overall, try to approach this fall and maybe winter as information gathering, research, and beginning to understand the system and the process, try hard to form an alliance with the teacher. Start emailing the teacher now and then to let her know your DD struggles with X or took 40 minutes to do Y., or ask if DD can draw pictures instead of write out her spelling words for practice, type this homework assignement on the computer, etc. And then email an apology for all the emails. All of that starts a big paper trail that shows there's a problem.

And then maybe the spring will be a time when things start to happen. You are at the beginning of an unavoidably long process.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM