Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by apm221
    I'm hesitant to move him to second grade because of his social difficulties. Has anyone else encountered this?

Yes! My personal recommendation is to homeschool through this time of asynchronous skills (maturity/academics) OR look at school as social time and do challenge school on the weekends. OR, beg the school to do a single-subject skip. Then, when things start to sync -- and they do most of the time -- you can work on a grade skip.

I think sometimes kids who are out of sync, will even out--maybe by 9 or 10. At that point, the grade skip is easy. But putting a kid who is delayed in one area into a skip can cause MORE social problems.

Hope this helps.

A
    apm221 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I really appreciate all of this feedback and wanted to provide an update. His current school asked if they could move him to a second grade classroom and so far he likes it very much. He is actually doing better socially and is being much more talkative. I expressed my concerns about his social immaturity, but I think we will just have to leave open the option of moving him back later.

We are still considering the other school, which is extremely nice (it is small and flexible). My concern is that he may need more than a small school can offer if he needs therapies or special education services (his speech therapist actually does therapy at the private school, which would be wonderful, but they don't have anyone there full time).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM