Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 251 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    P
    puffin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    First I have to explain our system.
    1/ school year is feb to.dec
    2/ Kids start school in year one the day of their fifth birthday
    3/ At the end of the year the kids who started before 30 June go to year 2, those who started after are kept in year 1 another year

Which brings me to my problem ~ legally ds5 goes to year 2 next year but the school he is at uses 31 March rather that the government date. This would make him the oldest and possibly most advanced ds5 doesn't have stellar results although he should meet his year 1 targets easily. The only reason I am.worried is that he is a risk averse perfectionist who tests in the 98.8th percentile. I think next year would be fine in a y1/2 class but the year after would be awful. My other reservation is I wonder if some ds7s writing problems are age related but I know dds5 has always been better at storytelling.

Last edited by puffin; 10/23/14 02:15 PM.
    N
    ndw Offline
    N
    Can you elaborate on why you think the year after would be terrible. I wasn't quite sure if you were worried because he will be the oldest and unchallenged or whether the writing issues your other DSs have might manifest and cause problems?

We have found that risk aversion is best overcome by challenge at the right level if that helps?

P
    puffin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    I am basing it on my older childs experience he did a short first year then went into a y1/2 class. He started the year in the top reading group with kids nearly a year older. When they got to a certain level the teacher stopped instructing them to work with the kids who weren't there yet. In maths he and one other girl were a level above the rest of the class but they werent given anyy advanced instruction or extension. It was a wasted year and I.am still undoing some of the damage, to make it worse he wasn't helped with his weak areas either. I now have a kid who thinks he has to be best at maths and worst at writing. He tests >99.9 and did 3 terms in year1. Ds would be doing 7 terms in year1.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    I seriously could never imagine my DD doing 7 terms in year 1. The more highly gifted, the faster they move through the curriculum so they need less time, not more in any one year. But they do need to be instructed. It is so hard when gifted kids get left because they seem to need less help from the teacher, when they actually benefit from more, to take them beyond the curriculum.

So, what are your options?
    Is this a private school, is that why the dates are different? Could you make an argument to move ahead based on his scores and the public school policy?

What are you thinking?

P
    puffin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    I have requested he be placed in a y1/2 composite as a year 2. I think since they would be legally reclassifying him if they kept him at year one they probably can't do it if I object. I am not sure though. The problem really is that his achievement is not out there. He has to be at level 12 reading after 12 months and at the half way point is at 9. He is in the bottom spelling group although his spelling is where it should be ( there seem to be kids doing the year 3 list. He is middle of the road in reading and maths (part of this is because I got him put in the class with the kids who started at the beginning of the year though). He is doing well in writing and handwriting though. It is not clear cut but kids lower than him will go to year 2.

Last edited by puffin; 10/23/14 06:38 PM.
    M
    M
    I would push for year 2 next year, and let him repeat then if he's not ready to advance. I really think that in most cases it's best to fix the problem at hand (doing too long in year 1) than anticipate future problems too much. Afterall he may well surprise with his development in a year. Also at 98.8 you might be able to get an IEP for writing like using a lap top if he's not up to speed. Good luck!

P
    puffin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Met with them today. They are adamant that he do another year at year one and claim that the ministry date is for funding purposes only. There was no moving them, they say every school uses the same date which doesn't tally with what I have heard. I made it very clear why I thought it was a bad idea but there is not much I can do - even if I forced them the outcome would be bad. I am tempted just to keep them home when I don't work. I could change schools but it wouldn't help and it would be hard for my kids to change. Part of me hopes he makes them miserable so I can say told you so.

Last edited by puffin; 10/27/14 09:42 PM.
    M
    M
    that's no good. I can't believe with his testing they aren't looking at some accomodations. Can you keep him out until he turns 6, show the school work and get him into 2nd that way?

P
    puffin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Once he is in school I have to apply for permission to homeschool to withdraw. Also here kids are placed by age so he would go back into the same class (it does prevent red shirting though). It just seems stupid that my kids are 25 months apart and due to date fluctuations both started on the first day of the second termyet they will end up 3 years apart at school. I do understand that is achievement is not in line with his ability but it is.better than required. They also implied that if ds7 had been held back he might be better at writing - possible but he would be crazy ahead in maths and reading (or held back more). If I could afford daycare I would take him out permanently but I am a single parent and am required to work and we need to eat and pay the rent.

M
    M
    stink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM