Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by raptor_dad
    Thanks!

I still don't think there is a very good unschooling book for gifted, academic families. If you want the comfort of understanding how little direct instruction is needed, I would search on the WTM Accelerated boards[1] or just post another thread asking how much time school for K-6 kids takes. If the classical folks are only spending 2-3hrs then others must be spending even less...

[1] http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/forum/7-accelerated-learner-board/

We probably spend that on school average, but some weeks we are only working at home 3 days. Some days go longer- dd became interested in math, so it took 2 hours just for math yesterday. We do Latin and math everyday. Pretty much everything else 1-2x per week with periodic subject binges. We do limit what we call squishy brain reading and screen time to encourage a little creative boredom.

You've gotten good advice so far. We had older kids who graduated from our local schools. Homeschooling dd has been less work than advocating for them, participating in parent activities, dealing with homework after school and all of the other time drain stuff that happens with school. We went into it with a one year at a time commitment, but I really can't see enrolling her in a brick and mortar school anytime soon. She's 9.

ETA I like the WTM boards, but generally do not post my dd's age even on the Accelerated Learn Board. The way new posts show up, any user might read them. Sometimes that derails the thread when someone doesn't realize they are responded to a to an question about an accelerated student.

ETA 2- The 2-3 hours is my time working with her. By the time she practices piano, does chores around the house, and has lunch it's more like 4-5 hours, 3-4 days most weeks, with one or two days on the road for extracurricular, outside classes and things like being "grandma's helper" for a family member who had surgery or helping volunteer for a literacy program with me.

We usually save assigned reading for last part of the day so she doesn't have to switch gears. She can read as long as she wants.

Probably too much info, but sometimes "a day in the life" can help make a leap less scary.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Bean; 10/14/14 04:32 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    We do something similar:

~3 hours of academics per day, 3 days a week.
    plus music practice, sports practices, field trips, and weekly co-op (largely fun stuff). The fifth day is for catching up (independently) on anything left incomplete from earlier in the week. Or for lazing around and reading all day.

I expect we could be doing more (you read about these hyper-organized homeschool families who do six hours a day, six days a week, plus farm chores), but I feel no need to do so!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Wow! Thanks all! I needed to read some nuts and bolts info - a "day in the life" as it were. A couple of things that will be tricky will be the fact that one child will stay in school. She loves her school, but will be jealous that younger sibling will be with mommy all day. The other issue is that I don't feel up to the task. I come from an art background and am math phobic. Like I said, I have a math class already set up, but that is just one class...I just start thinking about details, and I get overwhelmed. I think that I would like the online schools because someone else is responsible for passing along the knowledge. My mom is an AIG teacher so she would be a great resource (great way to get her to move a bit closer!!).
    I will know in a couple of weeks if I need this information. Thank you so much!!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Oh, and we had one in school and one at home for a few years. We explained that they are each unique, and as parents, we try to arrange their education (and lots of other parenting decisions, as well) in a way that suits each of them. Your children don't all have to wear the same size and style of clothing to be "fair," do they?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    I
    I think that I would like the online schools because someone else is responsible for passing along the knowledge.
    Some may say it is more difficult to assess an online school for "fit", than a brick-and-mortar school. This is because a virtual school is difficult for parents to "tour", or for a child to "shadow" for a day. Additionally, virtual schools may typically oversee and monitor parents, requiring parents to be accountable for facilitating the school-determined educational process. For example, tasks may include scheduling, attendance, and teaching the child if the child does not understand the material in the way it is presented online. This recent thread is about debating homeschool vs virtual school.

M
    M
    A quick unschooling read is "unschooling rules". It's light-hearted and fun to read and explains so much in a short time.

Best of luck for having this in place - we find that the longer we are out of school, the less chance there is of our kids fitting back in. As someone mentioned, the growth and learning keep accelerating. Even allowing for the 2 years my now 7 year old needed for healing time (school was toxic for him) he is now loosely 3 years ahead on most things (except writing) and his inner drive is only now kicking in, so we are seeing leaps and bounds mostly.

Including music practice (2 x instruments), chores and other academic work, we are currently on about 2 hours a day. He is expressing interest in increasing this slowly now so that by mid January we are at 3 hours a day. The rest of the day is spent in playing with other kids, experimenting, day dreaming, climbing trees, researching own topics and other personal persuits of happiness.

We see a similar trend in our 5 year old, although his LOG is higher and he is less social and so chooses to spend proportionately more time "working". He is on 2 - 3 hours a day. But to give you a fair idea, he was a bit ill yesterday and was moaning that he had been too ill to do any work. When asked what he did do, he said that he "only did music practice x 2, and an extra piano practice, snap circuits, made a rain stick, played chess and studied some end games, four life of fred chapters. Read two books, did some mazes in my "advanced" maze book. Folded washing and helped mom weed the strawberry patch. Oh yes I also did some writing practice for fun and planned a story I am working on" For him that was all fun and therefore since not initiated or suggested by me it was emphatically NOT work.

My point is that homeschooling can look like whatever would work best for your daughter right now. If she needs rigour, perhaps giving her the freedom to select from pre-prepared activities will work, or giving her the freedom to develop those independent learning skills could be exactly what she needs right now.

Either way, best of luck!

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    The other issue with some online schools is that they are often (but not always) all or nothing. So they may be great for math, but not a good fit for history (or whatever). A better option are EPGY classes and the like... they are a la carte, but can be pricey.

Since you are already enjoying after school classes, you might see what's available in terms of homeschool coops or organized "IRL" classes. And remember, as a homeschooler your schedule can be super flexible. It's possible you could have a couple of online classes, afternoon and Saturday classes that are scheduled for kids in school, and spend your days going on field trips and educational outings when things are quiet. We've had some great experiences where, for example, the keepers at the zoo let my daughter behind the scenes to help feed the penguins... just because it was a slow Thursday morning.

My 2 are homeschooled this year. Believe me, I understand your panic smile

Like another poster mentioned, we try to keep to a somewhat strict schedule because if we can sell our house and move to a better district, we plan to re-enroll them there. Since I don't know when the real estate gods will favor me with a sale, we have been getting them up around 8-8:30 and starting by 9 at the latest. Their core learning hours are from start time til 2 PM. Though my 8th grader often runs past that time because she takes her time with lessons.

My 4th grader buzzes right through his work by 11 at the latest most days and I encourage him to work harder earlier in the week and let him have Fridays off if all of his work is done to do what he wants. My 8th grader often doesn't get it all done and works a full school day.

If DS in 4th grade finishes early, he has to do something educational until 2 PM. He typically reads (he's mid-Harry Potter right now), watches the Science Channel, or watches and builds Lego projects off YouTube. He also watches Maths Mansion off there (British TV show). He plays older math games or empire building games on the computer too.

Today, we watched a two-hour H2 documentary on the Fall of the Roman Empire.

Since we are ahead of the pacing guide for the history taught in our state for 4th graders, he is going to be working on a diorama next week. Your school or others in your state may list their pacing guides matching state standards online. I can easily have him spend a few weeks working on that project and still be comfortably ahead.

There's lots of flexibility in what you can do. It has been so nice to not just rely on text books but to get other materials/websites to add that extra in-depth layer to the regular learning.

Our local Y has a homeschooler gym class that I'm going to check out.

Good luck! In your research, you may find great resources for the summer or just for use at home, even if you don't decide to pull your child home.

M
    M
    One of the first books that I read, and which remains resonant is David Albert's And the Skylark Sings with Me: Adventures in Homeschooling and Community Based-Education. It's wonderful and inspirational, and he touches on things like beauty, laughter, community, and deep passions for learning that aren't conventionally a part of the gifted education narrative/s.

He never explicitly uses the g-word or unschooling, but it's fairly evident both of his children are very gifted and the the learning described in this book is child-led with a pacific NW unschooling flavour.

HTH,
    M.

M.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM