Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    TripleB Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    My son, 7 year old second grader, is 'gifted' according to the three teachers he has had.

Is there a magazine that is geared towards the gifted elementary school child (not for the parent, for the child)?

Some ones that have been recommended elsewhere are: Time for Kids, Muse, and Ask.

* should have included this earlier...he loves learning about anything and everything, not really sure what his reading level is...right now he's reading the Harry Potter series and the Origami Yoda series, reading skills are probably at a higher level than his math skills

Thank you for any and all input.

TripleB

Last edited by TripleB; 10/22/14 03:20 PM.
    M
    M
    I know you already mentioned it, but Muse really is great. My son loves it so much that he has written letters to the editor, one of which got published, which was a real thrill for him.

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by TripleB
    My son, 7 year old second grader, is 'gifted' according to the three teachers he has had.

Is there a magazine that is geared towards the gifted elementary school child (not for the parent, for the child)?

Some ones that have been recommended elsewhere are: Time for Kids, Muse, and Ask.

Thank you for any and all input.

TripleB

Would resources sought be different without the air quotes around gifted?

Particular interests, level of interest, and ability to read and understand a resource would be my guides independent of age. My eight year old is happy to read through an issue of Popular Science or the latest Lego Creator magazine.

D
    D
    Muse, National Geographic, Smithsonian.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Particular interests, level of interest, and ability to read and understand a resource would be my guides independent of age. My eight year old is happy to read through an issue of Popular Science or the latest Lego Creator magazine.

I agree with Zen on this - one of my "gifted" kids read Popular Science and Scientific American and Discovery in detail at 7 years old, and one of my other "gifted" kids wanted nothing more than to read those early-reader-chapter books about Fairy Princesses (covered with rainbows… I can't remember the name of them for the life of me!).

All of my children loved Junie B Jones, Captain Underpants and various other books which were not what I dreamed of my children reading as young kids!

Have fun trying out magazines - there are so many good mags out there!

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 10/22/14 12:19 PM.
    B
    B
    We discussed a similar topic three years ago in the thread What magazines do your children read?

Our current list is

Discover magazine
    Popular Science
    Boy's Life
    Time
    Imagine (for gifted middle and high school students, a perk of qualifying for SET)
    The Atlantic (for me, but the 11yo sometimes reads it)

Z
    Z
    Forgot about Discover as the corner store stopped carrying it. I still remember the year it came out and my mom got her and I a subscription to that to go along with OMNI and Games Magazine (which I think is still published and great fun for kids who like to get some brain calisthenics going.)

A
    A
    Our fave is New Scientist. It is a British weekly (and unfortunately a U.S. subscription is a bit pricey). It is newsy and the articles are short (but generally accurate and well-written) and it's got humor in the back few pages.

When dd was 2yo, we started what turned out to be a wonderful family tradition of printing off copies of articles of particular interest and putting them on the dining room table. Such articles (not just from New Scientist) have sparked many a mealtime discussion about current issues as well as important topics that could otherwise be difficult to talk about.

Our kids are teens now, and we're known to fight over the New Scientist when it arrives in the mail….

Last edited by amylou; 10/22/14 02:14 PM.
    H
    H
    You could try the library and see what magazines they have in kids and adult magazines. It depends on what your child is interested in and also his reading level.

We like Odyssey, Dig and Cobblestone (by Cricket, they also make Muse)
    Also look at trade magazines or building magazines in the adult section if your child is interested in something specific, like Engineering.

At second grade, we all still liked Highlights and Ranger Rick and National Geo kids.

Magazine subscriptions make great gifts!

My 9 year old is very interested in archaeology. I got him an archaeology magazine at the grocery store. It was definitely written to a higher reading level audience.

Maybe let your child spend some time thumbing through some titles at a B&N?

He also reads Boys Life, but he's also a scout so we get that in the mail normally. He also likes Ranger Rick, which I get sometimes for him too.

Thanks for the lists, everyone. Good food for thought.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM