Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    We finally got a meeting for 9th grade DS. It's a little overkill-- every teacher and the counselor.

Last edited by master of none; 11/12/14 04:40 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Another option for oral expression assessment accommodations is to give oral presentations to a small group or individual, with whom he has a high comfort level. This might be a guidance counselor, favorite teacher, coach/music director, two of his best friends. You would need to determine with him who should be on the short list of audience members, and how many people he feels comfortable having present. Or he might do his presentations alone or at home, into a camera, and turn in a video clip.

Also, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You could suggest that he do a certain number of oral presentations per term, with all others modified to written or visual presentations. So if say his peers do four, then he does one. Or if they have to present for ten minutes, he can stop after two.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    B
    B
    I hear your frustration on not knowing what the assignments are. We are dealing with that with DD as well, even though we're writing a 504 for ADHD, DD is not even bringing home materials that she needs to do for homework or study for tests, or writing down what the assignments are. FINALLY the teachers are at least looking at her planner (basically a calendar) once in a while to make sure she is writing down assignments, but it will say things like "constitution test" with nothing brought home to actually study for the constitution test. And to top it off, I asked the teacher about this before the test and she said "Don't worry about it, she knows that all already" and then DD proceeded to get a D on the test because she never studied. So much depends on the motivation and organization of the teachers to help keep students organized, make sure things are written down correctly and specifically, and make sure they understand the assignment. When this isn't happening, I don't know what the solution is. I guess I'm going to have to email teachers on practically a daily basis.

C
    C
    DS8 (dysgraphic & anxious)has an IEP that lets him choose whether he presents to the class or to a particular teacher. He hasn't done his first presentation yet, so I can't report on how well it works, but it was meant to be responsive to his anxiety. It sounds, though, like you need a condition that your son not be interrupted, interfered with or hindered in any way during his presentations. His audience should be listening - teacher included - not interrupting. I would try asking for a condition that his oral presentations be uninterrupted and any teacher comments reserved to a later time when they will be discussed privately.

DS's teacher specifically calls on him now, instead of waiting for the volunteering that will never happen, and that seems to be working. The pressure and uncertainty of volunteering answers seemed to make him more anxious than does being routinely called upon.

DS8 also has a condition that his teachers write his homework in his planner. He's not typing well enough to do it himself, though, and I had thought he would take that on in the future on his computer. I might revisit that plan in light of your experience. Can you ask for a condition that teachers will always either give him his homework assignments on paper or write it in his planner, themselves?

C
    C
    mon, I read your threads with an eye to what I can expect next! Good luck with the meeting.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by master of none
    AEH, any thoughts on WHY he is so good with written instructions but misses oral? It's like that at home too, but has not been a problem at school before this time, because the teachers made a point to emphasize their oral instructions for the kids.

His tester remarked that has a good auditory memory but the work needed for written output makes it hard to use his memory. Which is probably why he's always done well just recalling what his teachers have said. Now, I've been forcing him to write down (type) his homework on a sticky note on his computer, and wondering if that is actually messing him up? What tests would figure this out? Would an SLP eval at school be of any assistance?
    There could be some value in an SLP eval. It's unclear from what you've described whether he's recalling directions, information, concepts, rote information in his auditory memory. Since measures of auditory memory each sample only some of these skills (or are mixed measures), he may score well on some, but struggle with others. You might also consider a memory eval. Actually, now that I think about it a bit, I think I would start with memory. (That's a psych eval.)

Typewritten output is quite different from handwritten output, even in a dysgraphic individual, as far as memory goes. (See some of the recent research on handwritten note-taking and its impacts on long-term memory.) It may also be that the process of transforming oral instructions into written instructions is "overwriting" his auditory image of the directions before he has a chance to transfer it to long-term memory. (Overwriting with clicking keyboard sounds and the working memory drain of formulating written language.) Perhaps he could try repeating the directions to himself once or twice, quietly, prior to typing them into his sticky note. Or could he record his directions into a voice memo recorder, instead, such as might be found on his phone? Dictate & send the product to himself?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The WRAML-2 is a good comprehensive memory test that is applicable to his age group. There's also the WMS-IV, but you have to be at least 16. I'm assuming he's not. Odd that your tester should say the CMS doesn't reach his age range, as it goes up to age 16 (the WMS and CMS are sister products--or at least marketed as such). It does have two forms, for different age groups. Perhaps he/she doesn't have the forms for ages 9-16.

Yes, I would not be surprised if he adapts, and figures out his own strategies for organizing and monitoring assignments and directions. He clearly has well-considered ideas about what will work for him, and is not afraid to advocate for them. I like his #3 idea quite a bit, although I agree that it may be difficult to implement.

B
    B
    Will any of his teachers be at the meeting? Can he explain any of this himself? I'm assuming he will be at the meeting. We just had a SST meeting for my DS15 a H.S. sophomore and all but one of his teachers attended. We have the 504 meeting next week, and I was just told only one of his teachers will attend this meeting.

Not sure I'm a lot of help, but I'm right there with you. My son has different issues. But I'm right there with the teachers who don't update assignments online. I am really starting to HATE DS's Chemistry teacher, not only does she not put homework online but she takes WEEKS to update grades. It's hard to help DS stay on track at home, if I have no idea what is going on. We are starting a contract with the teacher that will hopefully help with this, and the nice part is the teacher is required to take late homework from my son (up to a week) while the contract is in place. And the teacher has to become more accountable.

G
    G
    I would definitely involve the SLP. I'm one myself and know she could be very helpful, especially with the selective mutism and public speaking issues. In fact, it is almost unethical not to involve the SLP, clearly this is a case for her. Did he ever receive SLP in the past? Evals?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM