Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    M
    Is this a charter school, or private? It seems really extreme for a regular run of the mill public school. I would not be ok at all with their homework expectations/policy for such little kids. This school sounds toxic.

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 09/26/14 09:56 AM.
    B
    B
    When my daughter was in 1st grade if a student had uncompleted homework or seat work the student would be kept in from afternoon recess. (She turns 20 soon, this kind of thing isn't new.) The teachers plan was that then the student could get the work done and get extra help. A bunch of us parents complained because the kids who were being kept in, where the ones who had ants in their pants and needed that recess the most. It was the younger kids, those not quite as mature or had ADHD. Keeping them in from recess made their attention worse not better.

Probably the theory behind the detention is it's not punishment, but extra help. But in your child's case it turns into punishment. I would try talking to the teacher about whether you can substitute alternative homework.

Last edited by bluemagic; 09/26/14 10:07 AM.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by mountainmom2011
    Is this a charter school, or private? It seems really extreme for a regular run of the mill public school. I would not be ok at all with their homework expectations/policy for such little kids. This school sounds toxic.

It happens in public schools. My daughter had an appendectomy a while back. Her roommate (same problem) was in kindergarten or first grade. My DD was out after three days/two nights, but this girl had a more serious case, and was stuck in the hospital for 5 or 6 nights. I barely saw her stand up the whole time we were there. Our nights 1 and 2 were nights 3 and 4 for her, so she was pretty ill. She was attached to an IV unit the whole time we were there.

She was doing homework in her hospital bed --- all three days we were there. That tiny little girl was expected to write a journal entry every day (at least one paragraph IIRC), do math worksheets, and so on. It was ridiculous, and her mother told me she went to a local public school. It was a "high achieving" public school, whatever that means.

And to add insult to injury surgery, we were all there during a school vacation. mad

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Our is a private school. It's not a detention per se. The goal of staying after school is to "help" those kids with homework.

I stopped exposing DS to new math materials. Then over the weekend, I spent 5 minutes teaching him how to multiply 2 digits by 2 digits, and he was so excited about learning something new.

I felt like by me stopping to teach DS new materials, I was robbing him of the joy of learning.

How do I explain to a K teacher that my kid is doing 2 digits by 2 digits multiplication while being tactful?

Last edited by HelloBaby; 10/21/14 09:12 AM.
    K
    K
    Maybe he could do a problem or two on the back of the nightly homework for a few nights. (It would be interesting to see if the teacher comments on this.)

B
    B
    I think your framing this the wrong way. There's no point trying to inform the teacher unless you want something to change. And the way you keep phrasing things I'm not sure. Do you want acceleration / differentiation etc in school? If so what you really want to do is to start and explore what options already exist in the school and find out how to take advantage of them. Any discussion of your son's ability should be in the context of why he needs additional challenge. If not (which is fine - its only K) then I don't think you need to feel guilty in any way about enriching at home either.

L
    L
    HelloBaby, well, honestly, you can tell the teacher, but you run the risk of her not believing you. Your DS sounds a bit like my DS6, who is now in 1st grade. DS's teacher could tell he seemed pretty bright last year, and made comments to me about it. I also shared stories with her of what he was doing at home, but I usually wondered later whether she thought I was crazy/deluded wink. Finally, this summer, we went ahead and had him tested. He is now a DYS. The objective data is a bit easier to advocate with than my random observations.

Originally Posted by Val
    It was a "high achieving" public school, whatever that means.

I've decided that "high achieving" is a code phrase for "too much homework."

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Originally Posted by BenjaminL
    I think your framing this the wrong way. There's no point trying to inform the teacher unless you want something to change.

But isn't it a catch-22? If I don’t let the teacher know DS’ ability, nothing will change.

Given the size of the school (20 students per grade), there is no formal gifted program.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by Val
    It was a "high achieving" public school, whatever that means.

I've decided that "high achieving" is a code phrase for "too much homework."
    Sadly.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM