Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    It's the NordicWare version-- entirely ABS, except for the piston components. Seems quite sturdy, and completely intuitive if you've ever used a caulking gun. grin

I used it Christmas day to make pumpkin spice spritz cookies-- it works great.

Thank you! Ah yes, my lack of recent experience with caulking guns was part of the issue. That said, even when DH applied his more current techniques to said press, it still didn't work quite as well as I'd hoped. Will look up the NordicWare version.

M
    M
    Hits:
    Aiden (7) - Snap circuits, Minecraft PC Game, Diary of a wimpy kid, Cluedo board game, diving sticks

Nathan (5) - Snap circuits, Minecraft PC Game, Asterix book, Horrid Henry Books, 1000 Animal Facts book, Triceratops Excavation Kit, Ludo Game, diving sticks

Dylan (2) - kid's umbrella (well it was a hit until it nearly sliced off his thumb yesterday.) New early readers, new story books, new puzzles, wooden garage play set, new Leappad game ( I say new as he has gotten all the hand-me-downs and this is the first time he has received these items new just for him.)

Not yet used - They each got their very own stationery and pencil bags, they are all excited about this! Aiden has not opened his fingerprint kit yet as he says he is keeping it for a special project on crime scene investigation/spy techniques when we get back into learning.

Misses were only things given by extended family. So we are gratefully re-gifting them to a children's home (Aiden's idea) where they will be enjoyed a whole lot more.

We use the end of the year to gift things for the next year as all three birthdays fall around Nov - Jan, so there are still a few things to get that caused great consternation at not being available now. Most notably for Aiden was the missing Algebra book, for Nathan was the missing Chemistry kit and the LEGO WeDo sets that they are all sharing as part of our learning/homeschooling year.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    DD11 hit: purple uggs, books, memory foam pillow, sewing kit (she is a 40 year old trapped in a preteen body)

DD11 miss: Wi-Fi printer (hey, she NEEDED it!), rainbow loom (her fine motor skills make it difficult to use anything but the hook)

DS5 hits: Wii Skylanders game (until it scared him three days later), Chester Raccoon and Mario stuffies, hockey jersey

DS5 miss: Wii Skylanders game (see above), various race tracks cluttering up our playroom

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    E
    E
    Kathleen's mum, your DD needs to come work with my DD9, whose fine motor skills make it difficult for her to use the hook (but she does better with her fingers).

A
    A
    DD5 - likes most of her gifts... rainbow loom, IPAD (loves stack the states and where's my water, but need to find some more apps), American Girl doll (the 18 inch one per DD, Othello, playmobil ambulance (so she has some transportation for hew playmobil people)

E
    E
    DD4
    Hits: Lego fire station, puzzles, geode kit, art supplies, books.

Misses: The game operation

DD 11 months
    Hits: Scraps of paper, random ribbon, boxes, shape blocks (to put in her mouth) dust.

Misses: Anything that is actually a toy. smile

Last edited by eyreapparent; 01/08/14 08:07 AM.
    Originally Posted by ndw
    Thank you 1frugalmom for mentioning Duolingo. I downloaded that today and my DD and I are competing to learn Spanish, which she is starting in January. It's a great app.
    Our DD 12 loves her new ipad which she uses for school. They have electronic texts. We also bought a Livescribe pen to use with it. For someone who has trouble with handwriting and sometimes misses what is said in class we are hoping that will make a difference. She loves her Lego Haunted House too!

I'm wondering if you could comment on how well she's liked the LiveScribe pen-- we're considering one for DD.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    DS3 hit: magformers

What is to give light must endure burning.
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Oh man, is it time to think about this already? Probably. I'll be looking for great new games for my obsessive game hound--preferably ones that can be played by two and in under an hour. Spelling-based and drawing-based games are out because he's too disadvantaged compared to the rest of us, but anything else is fair game--I haven't yet met a strategy game he can't handle.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    FTR, Perplexus was the ultimate Xmas hit for us and we now have Epic as well. Still popular!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM