Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    always making sure there's enough joy in other parts of the day to make it livable as an overall thing

No situation is perfect, and I do not think parents are obligated to render a schooling situation even close to perfect. Sometimes you have to decide what's "good enough."

DeeDee said it a lot more perfectly than I could! We too make sure that there is enough joy in other parts of the day to make the school agreeable. I help with homework to hurry it along so that it does not take us too long, I add in other things in the hours after school which are fun and engaging. That is the best I can come up with at this point in time.

MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by ashley
    making sure there's enough joy in other parts of the day
    Aye, there's the rub.

MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Okay, I'm more or less over my little freak-out. Today turned out to be a good day (after a serious bout of school-refusal in the morning!) I'm going to wait and observe a while longer, not do anything rash. Thanks everyone.

M
    M
    What helped me when school was not getting better- I started researching all my options: other schools, virtual school, homeschool curriculum. It somewhat helped just knowing I had ok other options. (I did enough research on homeschool curriculum that I had a place to start.) Then, I went back to the tester and asked her opinion. We ultimately did what she advised. My ds is happy, loves school and life is better!

Keep in mind that no decision has to be long term or permanent.

Keep us posted!

U
    U
    I agree with DeeDee's great post. I also think it's not a bad idea just to look into and write up your options, as Melessa suggested. It may make you feel less worried, like you have a safety valve. I have days when I think about pulling the plug on the current school, not so much related to giftedness as other stuff. I cannot fathom homeschooling, though, so I have to look at othe options on my list when this comes up. One thing I would say is that plain old time may help. It sounds like your DD's issues may be an issue of maturity mismatch with too-high expectations in terms of work load. I would expect that to improve, perhaps slowly.

M
    M
    It sounds like you want to homeschool but are worried that you can't keep at it. I had the exact same worries when we pulled Aiden out. Now we are 2.5 years later and I can say honestly that I wish I had had the confidence to start earlier than we did.

I think a lot of people confuse homeschooling with school-at-home. They are different and it doesn't have to be like that. You can put together an interesting curriculum based on needs, asychnronicity, varied interests etc.

For us, the largest part of the first two years has been focused almost totally on life skills and "soft/supporting skills" - ie we worried more about his ability to play nicely, to make his own bed, to be helpful around the house. To be able to write neatly and with confidence and most essentially we have focused on building independent work/learning ability.

It works most days now and I am confident that it will continue to grow. He has now come to me and asked for increased time spent on focused learning activities. He plans his own timetable and is now open to suggestions from me. We include things like music, taekwondo, chess club etc as part of learning time.

I homeschool my 5 year old as well as having my 3 year old around - and the independent learning is brilliant! I don't think we would all be as happy with the way things work if we hadn't focused so much on giving him the freedom to work on his own.

My long-winded point, is that if this is what you really want to do, there is no reason why you can't - it sounds as though you have an excellent choice of abundant support there, and most essentially it sounds as though you really want to. So why not try it for a year and then decide from there?

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi Madoosa,

Thanks for the encouragement! You're right, I do really want to. The problem is, I'm an employed single mother, and I already feel like I'm failing at my career due to the demands of parenting. My kid is a total attention-hound, and on weekends she's all over me like a cheap suit. I think I will homeschool at some point, when she's matured a bit, but right now it would be really hard.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM