Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Originally Posted by binip
    Does anyone else share my feeling that we are just being told this by people who have most of the money, to keep us quiet?

I just have this sense that I was tricked into a career in public service, into being generous and taking time off to be with my babies as infants, all for "intangible" rewards. I feel that all these warm and fuzzy feeling things are kind of a confidence trick. "You should feel good about helping, not demand money for it." Well where does that leave me? And everyone who says that managed to get money and is comfortable.

When you don't have money, you have no control over your life.

I've got the whole, do nice things, be a good person, do fulfilling stuff, make a nice family thing down. No problem. What I need is cold, hard cash.

I missed this thread when you originally posted, btw. As I read your comment above, it reminded me of the comments recently made by the CEO of Microsoft. Satya Nadella-Good Karma

Even though he later apologized for his remark, I think the sticky residue of what was said is not going to go away.

Being there early for your children is priceless, as I suspect you know; but I agree that women are still being fed the line that helping for the sake of helping should be enough and somehow asking for money casts women in a bad light.

Welcome back!

B
    binip Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Oh gosh, that was a whole OTHER thing, but not surprising coming from Microsoft. Talk about a toxic corporate culture!

But that's off-topic... I really just want to be able to encourage my kids and not feed them a line. smile

As it ended up, she did exceptionally well, over 99th% in both subject tests and 145 IQ in COGAT math, 140 in logic, but effectively scored a 90 IQ verbally, so oh well. She's been recommended this year and now I have that whole thing to think about. Sigh.

At least with my second, who is really bright, I won't have this issue since she's in bilingual schooling which has turned out to be very challenging and very intellectually stimulating. The teaching team there is incredible.

M
    M
    just re the to tell/not tell what the test was for etc, what worked for us was telling DD4 that most schools were made for square pegs, some were for circle pegs and there were some for triangle pegs. She figured out she wasn't a square peg on her own, the test was to see if she was a triangle or a circle. We explained to her that even though she's a triangle she'll be going a square school because there aren't enough triangles to make a whole school in our town, BUT there are some very special teachers who can help triangles and squares at the same time.

It helped with the yes you're different but no better / worse issue

U
    U
    binip, my husband and I both work in the public sector as well, and both of us make less than half of what we could in the private sctor. In both of our cases, though, we really don't want to do the work we would have to do to make that money (basically...sell out, in DH's case especially). I do understand the feelings you have a little bit; DH especially sometimes feels like his expensive liberal arts education went to pot, but OTOH, there are many good things about his choice. It sounds like you don't feel the urgency to stay in the public sector anymore. Is it really too late? Because, and I apologize if I am blunt, you sound far more bitter than my DH on the days when I say, "Let's reassess...should you ditch this job and consult for XYZ Evil?"

It seems like money is more important to you than you realized it would be. I have a friend who is a raging, highly active liberal but who grew up in a very economically unstable household. We all thought she would grow up to be a poor activist, but instead she is an extremely wealthy IT manager who does do political stuff on the side. She really, really needed an stable lifestyle. I don't judge her for it. I get it.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by binip
    Sigh, it has been one year since I posted here but I thought I'd get back to this thread before posting another.

"I am wondering if you really believe this?"

Short answer is, heck yeah.

"You sound unhappy."

Kurt Vonnegut was once asked about an author who'd made millions off a single book, and how that made him feel. And he replied, "I have what he'll never have--I have enough."

We don't have enough to give our kids what they need to get into college (we are narrowly paying down debt). I don't want to be rich, but I would like enough to give my kids opportunities.

I don't know anybody in the public sector who feels they have enough to give their kids the same opportunities that even they had themselves. I know valedictorians who are working second jobs.

Getting into "college" in the U.S. is easy. Only a small fraction of schools are highly selective, and not getting into the Ivies/MIT/Stanford does not mean not getting into college.

Tell me that's not supposed to hurt.

What does it mean to take responsibility for 21-year-old me's choice to work in the public sector? Like, "Wow, I feel really guilty and stupid for believing my mother, my teachers, and the hippy-dippy advice of every adult I knew. I should have known better."
    When you control for benefits and job stability, I think people in the public sector are better compensated than in the private sector on average. Biggs and Richwine found this to be the case for public school teachers. I think sometimes an error is made in looking at the right tail of the private sector earnings distribution, which does not prove anything about the median.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    I missed this thread when you originally posted, btw. As I read your comment above, it reminded me of the comments recently made by the CEO of Microsoft. Satya Nadella-Good Karma

Even though he later apologized for his remark, I think the sticky residue of what was said is not going to go away.
    I don't think what he said was unreasonable, but nowadays political correctness matters more than truth. "Why Men Earn More" (2005) by Farrell is a good, realistic book on the issue.

U
    U
    When you control for benefits and job stability, I think people in the public sector are better compensated than in the private sector on average.

People always flog this horse about public sector benefits. My husband (in the public sector his whole working life) has excellent PTO, I'll grant you, but our insurance benefits are not great. Overall, our health expenses run us more than our mortgage payments every year (we have a cheap mortgage and some expensive conditions and prescriptions). Job stability--it is hard to get fired, I grant you, but not so hard to get laid off.

T
    T
    I and DH both chose the public sector for reasons of family friendliness, work life balance and personal integrity. On the whole, we have no regrets and like our jobs, and are perfectly sure We have made the right choice. But with DS2 born with major special needs, we currently need our parents financial support in order to keep up our lifestyle (which isn't extravagant in any way, but not frugal either). They do gift stuff such as family vacations we would not otherwise be able to afford, take us out to nice restaurants, provide free babysitting, pay for the kids musical lessons, have skipped in for private daycare etc...there is a lot of help that keeps us in decent comfort. We'd certainly have many moments of having to forgo things we'd like to do as a family or being able to offer our kids, and maybe I might feel bitter if I did.

The way it is, I do, occasionally, have moments of simple green envy. Because when I look at the private sector, I do look at the right tail of the earnings curve which is where we would both be according to our qualifications. I am not so unreasonable to think that I would have been able to raise the three kids I have the way I want to raise them and still be on that end of the curve - we do milk the public sector benefits in the possibilities for parental leave, part time work and job security for what it's worth. But don't you ever tell me that if I had given the public sector my all, worked full time at the highest level of government, the financial compensation including benefits, would have come in any way close to what I could have made in the private sector, selling my soul and billing somewhere around 5 to 10 times what I now make in an hour. I am not looking at the alternative career prospects of a social studies teacher.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by Ametrine

I don't think what he said was unreasonable, but nowadays political correctness matters more than truth. "Why Men Earn More" (2005) by Farrell is a good, realistic book on the issue.

Are you suggesting women shouldn't self-advocate or self-market in the same way that men have proven to do successfully?

Nadella's comment rather explicitly suggests that women do not merit equal voice in their career management, holding experience, performance, and qualifications equal, by dint of their being female. It's another strain of paternalistic anti-woman messaging, and subtly anti-freedom of speech. If he can't legally limit women through legitimate power, he'll exert his coercive and referent power to induce them to self-handicap by poisoning the work culture. Tone at the top is everything when it comes to anti-woman enculturation.

Don't for a second fantasize that Nadella's comments are in any way innocuous. To brush it off as an offense against political correctness is to give his statement tacit approval.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Don't for a second fantasize that Nadella's comments are in any way innocuous. To brush it off as an offense against political correctness is to give his statement tacit approval.
    Here is the full quote from Nadella. It is certainly debatable, but I don't think it is outrageous, and it probably reflects what he thinks. It's not going to benefit women or men if people are only free to say what is politically correct. He's saying that demanding at each point in time the maximum compensation that your employer might give to prevent you from leaving can create "good karma". That is plausible. He has climbed to the top at Microsoft. Maybe he know something about how to scale the corporate ladder?

"It's not really about asking for the raise but knowing and having faith that the system will actually give you the right raises as you go along," Nadella said. "And that, I think, might be one of the additional superpowers that, quite frankly, women who don't ask for a raise have. Because that's good karma."

He added that doing so would make a woman's boss think "that's the kind of person that I want to trust."

"That's the kind of person that I want to really give more responsibility to, and, in the long-term efficiency, things catch up," he said. "I wonder - and I'm not saying that's the only approach - I wonder whether taking the long term helps solve for what might be perceived as this uncomfortable thing of, 'Hey, am I getting paid right? Am I getting rewarded right?' because reality is your best work is not followed with your best reward.

"Your best work then has impact, people recognize it and then you get the rewards. So you have to somehow think that through, I think."

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM