Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 152 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #203566 10/16/14 02:22 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    DS is in high school and we need to tweak the 504. Counselor wants to do a whole new 504. I'm just wondering, if 504s last a year and he quits public school for half a year to homeschool, will he lose the 504? Or will it still be active til the year runs out?

Any ideas?

P
    P
    mon, I don't know about the legal timeframe.

I do know that in our school district, all 504 plans from the previous year are left in place and teachers are required to follow them until the new year's 504 team meeting takes place. All 504 plans are re-crafted each year to fit the "changing needs" of students. I put the "cn" in quotes only because I understand this (on one hand) but also see it as potentially problematic too… but that's a whole other topic lol.

Which part of the year are you thinking of pulling out and homeschooling? If your ds has a 504 in place at the beginning of the school year and you pull-out mid-year, I would think that 504 would still be considered to be in place at the start of the next school year if he starts back at the public school.

I'm not sure a "whole new 504" vs a tweak is a huge deal - depends on the situation. I'm only saying that because they are renewed every year anyway. Do you think the counselor wants to reinvent everything under the sun or just technically write a new 504 with just the one tweak?

polarbear

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM