Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #203560 10/16/14 01:43 PM
    C
    Can2K Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hi
    My DS6 is in grade 1. I am puzzled by his reading abilities and wondering if anybody has any insight...

He has been able to read since before junior kindergarten (at the observation day that year we watched as he read a picture book more quickly than the SK kids in the teacher-led reading group).

He _can_ read and understand passages that are well above his grade level (not sure what the ceiling is but at least grade 4 I would think). However he still resists reading longer text and struggles with reading out loud. When I have him read a longer text to me, it seems to me that he gets lost on the page; he loses his spot constantly and has to re-find it.

Although he is interested in chapter books he prefers being read to. He sometimes seems OK with comics, or books with shorter passages and bigger text but mostly he asks me to read these to him as well.

His class is currently using a program called Raz-kids for reading practice. He asked his teacher to put him at level 'Q' (which is grade 3 level), which, again, he can read the words (only a few he didn't know because of not encountering before) but he gets discouraged and gives up quickly.

We have had his eyes tested this year and everything is normal. He doesn't complain about his eyes hurting or being sore. But he does seem to to better with larger text.

My DD9 never had this issue, but I think reading is her 'superpower' - she reads faster than I do - so maybe not a good comparison.

I am wondering if this is a developmental thing and he will improve his stamina and reading ability over time? Or should we be concerned/have him assessed?

Can2K #203561 10/16/14 01:46 PM
    It's quite normal at that age for kids to have trouble keeping their visual attention focused on exactly the right spot as they move along. Have you tried having him track with a finger under the words, or with a bookmark or other straight-edge under the line that he's on? (I used the bookmark trick myself probably through 5th or 6th grade.)

Can2K #203562 10/16/14 01:55 PM
    C
    Can2K Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Yes, that has been suggested to him. He doesn't think he needs to because he can already read!
    Also, he doesn't really sit still enough to do this easily. I got him through one book by pointing out to him where he was, but it was an effort.

Can2K #203563 10/16/14 01:58 PM
    M
    M
    He may have visual integration issues - or just age appropriate visual integration. My middle child learned the alphabet at 2, but didn't learn to read until a bit before 5 and we had significant struggles with any book that was in a crappy font, poorly laid out, etc. Even at 8 she's still restricted by font size and text density on the page, what she's ready to read comprehension wise is well ahead of the amount/density of text her eyes can manage on a page. Tracking is just too hard for her otherwise. My eldest used a bookmark as MegMeg describes until about 10 I think, and did not become a prolific reader until that age. Youngest child had the alphabet and was sounding things out on signs in public at 18 months but still isn't reading at 4.5... I imagine she will take off shortly like her older sister did and I am pretty sure that physical eye readiness/eye teaming/tracking is a major impediment for them.

Can2K #203667 10/17/14 06:27 AM
    C
    Can2K Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks for the replies! It's helpful to know this happens with other kids.

Last night I tried doing the Raz-kids website with him and I covered up most of the screen with an envelope so that he only needed to look at the line he was reading. This worked much better than using a finger, or even a ruler! I think it's partly losing his place and partly being discouraged by the amount of text.

But working this way he was able to read much more quickly and we got through another book. Yay!

Oh, and when I mentioned this to DH he said that he used to do this as well (with books).

I'm going to email his teacher about it and maybe she'll stop implying he's lazy only wanting to listen to the books.

Can2K #203677 10/17/14 08:00 AM
    M
    M
    My ds never complained about anything vision related. However, the tester recommended a developmental optometrist because he was unable to do the block design subtest and his writing was so poor. As far as reading, he had low stamina and skipped words or lines a lot. (I was told it was developmental.) it was eye teaming problem (an opthamologist wouldn't necessarily test or find). After vision therapy, things are much improved and his reading stamina/ ability has soared.
    Maybe something to think about?

Can2K #203683 10/17/14 08:27 AM
    C
    Can2K Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Does anyone know - if it is developmental, at what age they would typically grow out of it?

Can2K #203687 10/17/14 08:50 AM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Can2K
    Does anyone know - if it is developmental, at what age they would typically grow out of it?

I am not a professional, so take what I have to say with a really large grain of salt wink

Both of my older daughters lagged with reading with some of the same symptoms you've mentioned above - one was due to vision, one is an LD. The age that I have seen teachers across the board (both in their classes and in my ds' classes) was as easy as K and for sure by the end of grade 1. Children in our school district who are not on grade level at the end of first are recommended (strongly) to go to summer school to catch up, and if that doesn't work 2nd grade is where the schools start targeted reading interventions. Note - this is the age that the teachers were pointing out issues with typically developing kids, not HG/+ kids - my dd who has the LD slipped under the radar until late 2nd grade and even then wasn't thought to have an issue because she was reading at grade level.

If you're worried about anything related to reading, I wouldn't take a sit-back-and-wait-and-see approach - reading is such an integral part of academics and overall intellectual growth. My dd's vision issues weren't caught by her regular eye dr, but were obvious on a developmental optometrist assessment. Within just a few months of starting vision therapy she just skyrocketed in reading ability, and perhaps the most important gain of all, for her, was she turned into a kid who loves loves loves to read. I don't suspect an LD from anything you've written here, but fwiw, early understanding and remediation was really important for my dd with the LD. It would have been *so* helpful if we'd been able to pinpoint her challenges and start remediation as early as first grade.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Can2K #203689 10/17/14 08:51 AM
    U
    U
    My DS also has this problem a little, but it seemed to be somewhat related to scanning ahead while reading. How does he do with reading aloud in terms of speed and intonation? DS reads aloud very fast and with beautiful intonation, but will have to go back and repeat bits because he's scanning forward too much. I had to tell him to read aloud more slowly. It helps. However, he still skips an occasional line or word. He is 6.5.

Can2K #203692 10/17/14 09:11 AM
    C
    Can2K Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks polarbear
    We have meeting at his school next week to discuss his IEP. I'll ask then if they think he needs further assessment in writing and reading. If they can't / won't assess we're considering a private assessment. So far he's only done the WISC IV (done by the school).

Re: reading aloud - he reads aloud OK but slowly, and often is guessing what the next word would be from the context rather than reading each word.

E.g. if the text said "I went in the house through the window", he may say "I went in the house through the door" (because that's what he expected). But then he'd go back and correct it. So I guess it's possible he's scanning ahead too far.

Intonation is correct unless it's a sentence structure he's not familiar with. Then he stops, and re-reads the sentence over and over until he thinks it's the correct way to read it. (Yes, perfectionist as well)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM