Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    L
    L
    ultramarina - sending good wishes to your DS and to you.

Originally Posted by Loy58
    ultramarina - sending good wishes to your DS and to you.

Ditto!

Become what you are
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Portia
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Just noticed this got bumped up. He got over this particular issue. But there is some other odd stuff going on with him. Still avoiding chess, and seems to be having difficulty concentrating, which is unusual. Also unusually emotional. He has some mysterious medical stuff going on (a lab test came back extraordinarily high and the doctors are trying to figure out why) that is as yet undiagnosed.

PM

I will send you a PM too.

C
    C
    This must all be very worrying. I tend to second jdw's suggestion of a good child psychologist, if you possibly can. There are many possibilities for a psychological component, and sometimes parents aren't best placed to help alone. And if, by any horrible chance, your DS has been abused by someone connected to chess, he won't be the only one, and finding out rather than just having him give up chess would be a public service.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Q
    Q
    I didn't notice this post first time around. My concerns are with the physical symptoms: apparent decline of certain skills such as handwriting/drawing and seeming inattention, etc. I really don't want to freak you out with internet diagnoses even though I have personal familiarity with several possibilities, including an extremely rare cause. Keep in mind that the most likely reason should be relatively minor. Suffice it to say that the first medical opinion I would seek in your case would be with a pediatric neurologist. I hope all goes well with your DS.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I spoke with DS about chess club and asked him a lot of questions about whether anything had happened there, etc. He was very clear with me that nothing had gone on.

The most parsimonious explanation for his test results might cause poor sleep and irritability, which could lead to loss of concentration. We should know more in a couple of weeks. If the #s do not resolve, this may be a long process.

I am happy to say that the poor handwriting issue seems to have been temporary, or at least sporadic. He recently wrote some beautiful stories for me. I will say that we do notice, though, that some days seem better than others. It's hard not to overinterpret once you become concerned about your child. Every ordinary lapse becomes troubling.

DS had an unusual medical history as a baby, which does not help my sanity. It is possibly he has some kind of genetic variation or metabolic issue.

Thanks for the support. We are trying just not to think about it too much. We have been down this road before with him. There are things about him that ding doctors' bells, but nothing definitive has ever been found.

Last edited by ultramarina; 07/11/14 07:02 AM.
    C
    C
    Sounds very difficult. Glad you have been able to clear the abuse possibility off the table, though. Best wishes.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    A
    A
    What a relief that you could eliminate the possibility of abuse. Your family has been in my thoughts often this week, ultramarina, and I'm relieved for you. I hope you're able to get to the bottom of the issue soon.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    I hope that the doctors are able to figure this out so that you can help your son - he sounds quite delightful, and you sound really worried!

Thinking of you!

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    I wanted to update this post and say that whatever was going on with DS and chess has gone away--the fire is lit again and he is absolutely enthralled with the game once more. He is no longer worries about reading hard books (that was a temporary strange problem, although I do try to be careful with book selection now...it's hard!) He loves his new gifted pull-out. Mysterious.

He still need to complete some further medical testing and pursue one further consult to rule out some things, but he seems in good physical health as well after the course of the medication he took and I am less concerned about him.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM