Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 259 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #203332 10/14/14 07:40 AM
    R
    OP Offline
    R
    Hi there,

I do not know what is the exact situation in the US (I guess more advanced than in France), but below is the abstract from a French psychiatrist (who is working in a big Paris hospital). So if you live in Paris and have issues with your ADD gifted kid you can have the "chance" to have her as your partner (so it is not as funny as it could seem) ...(even in French for a French it is quite hard to follow)

"Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: a psychodynamic approach derived from clinical observation

In keeping with the clinical observation of children suffering from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) as defined by DSM-IV-R we tried to unveil a psychic functioning specific to this condition. That is to say with respect to the psychoanalytic stance, a specific relation of the subject to the signifier. Deriving our thesis from Freud and Lacan works we delineated the structure of the relationship between the object, the jouissance and the subject, the latter, although come through, would have gone back, not being able to go on speaking. The child could not stand himself as a speaking subject, unable to withstand the relationship to the lack within the symbolic order. The symbolic fragility of the ambient speech has probably taken its own part. In addition, objects to be consumed might have contributed to cover the lack. ADHD appeared as the expression of islets of jouissance Other related to impairments in the child’s subjective identity processes. The child is somewhere else, outside the field of the relationship, in a meaningless area. Passing through mirror games as a prisoner he is playing again a scene in which he has been able in the past, to seize himself through motion as an image connected with language. But, while replaying the scene, he is bearing neither expectation, nor request or address toward the other one. The crucial issue would then be to know which kind of mirror the other one will revealed himself to be."

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    This is a very amusing application of psychodynamics to a neurological disorder. It ought to be a satire. Was this from an eval on someone you know?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    That looks like an abstract from a published case study and, sadly, not satire.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Oh, I see the title now.

"Ought" being the operative word...

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    T
    T
    Ummm...not getting it at all is the point, right? Sheesh. How about a dose of some evidence based psychiatry?

D
    D
    Raoul, I'm so sorry that's the environment you have to operate in. How is your child doing these days?

R
    OP Offline
    R
    Well, unfortunately it is not a satire. It is written by a Ph Doctor in medecine working in an hospital and published in a French "scientific" journal http://www.perspectives-psy.org/articles/ppsy/abs/2011/01/ppsy2011501p32/ppsy2011501p32.html.
    Hopefully, not every doctor is like that in France but there are lots of freundian or Lacanian thinkers in France and they have an influence. I just share it with you as it is really freaking Honestly I can't believe such things can be written by a doctor in medecine.

DeeDee, as far as my DS is concerned, it is a long time since i wanted to write something on this forum. But I cannot find the time as it can be quite a long story. I got in the "misdiagnosis ... " book by Webb et al. during last summer and I kind of loose how to diagnose my DS in that book (at least a serious book with no prisoning mirrors :)). DS seems not truly to fit in anywhere but a little bit everywhere ...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM