Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    I inquired about having DD evaluated and was told by multiple people that they will not evaluate until several interventions are attempted. Last year with DS, I was told the same thing and the "interventions" involved having him use a pencil grip for months with no objective data or assessment information collected. Of course the pencil grip made everything better (not) and it appeared to be a stalling/stonewalling technique to avoid an eval and dismiss my concerns, or at the very least make them pat themselves on the back and tell themselves they were doing the correct thing.

Here's the thing though. I called the State to inquire about this and the very snotty woman that I talked to there said that schools are REQUIRED to try interventions before assessing a child unless a situation is "urgent", and that is their own discretion/ determination. I asked her if she missed this memo. http://www2.ed.gov/policy/speced/guid/idea/memosdcltrs/osep11-07rtimemo.pdf She said that I must referring to a "state memo" and I said, actually, no, this is from the US Department of Education. I read the title to her. She asked me why I'm arguing with her and said she's a lawyer. I asked if it would help if I email her the memo because what she is saying is at odds with the memo. I told her that I'm trying very hard to understand what she is saying. She said, very snottily, "No, it would not."

What is going on here? Am I missing something? When I've talked to the State before, people have generally been helpful. And what are parents supposed to do if the State is directing school districts to engage in unethical or illegal practices regarding conducting evaluations?

D
    D
    First do everything in writing and see if you get the same response. Quote it, give them a copy, tell them the implications-- in writing. If the special ed people stonewall, go to the superintendent of schools. Stonewalled there, back to the state. But always in writing, and citing chapter and verse of this document (the one you linked to).

If it's verbal, it "didn't happen."

B
    OP Offline
    B
    I sent the memo to the principal and he seemed alarmed and asked if I'm accusing them of delaying an evaluation. He said that of course they would evaluate. So I think that it's Ok, in terms of us, at least. Not in terms of everyone else in the district. Or, probably, the entire State. I guess I'm just horrified that this has been going on and wondering if anything can be done.

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    She asked me why I'm arguing with her and said she's a lawyer.

Isn't that a reason to argue with her?

B
    OP Offline
    B
    The woman was a total piece of work---just unbelievable. Unfortunately I didn't get her name. She told me, but I didn't write it down. Otherwise I would figure out who to report her to. But if they all think that way, what difference would it make.

S
    S
    That's a great memo to have found!

I hope you'll be able to use it to get things done at your school. Sounds like it's already lit a fire under the principal. Good job!

G
    GGG Offline
    G
    When I was a Special Education Teacher, I felt as if my hands were tied by such individuals, I would internally beg the parents to continue their advocacy. I applaud you for continuing to inform yourself. Districts feel squeezed so they outright ignore some needs and use RTI as an excuse. That person is unprofessional and rude and unfortunately likely a puppet to keep funds where admins want them to go. I hope you find someone more receptive.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    turns out there is actually a state statute staying that 2 interventions need to be tried before a child is referred to special ed, but the interventions can be waived at the discretion of the school, and can't be used to deny an evaluation (doesn't say anything about "delay"). This seems to be completely contrary to the US Dept of Ed memo, which says that interventions cannot delay an evaluation. The school had no specific plan about interventions, and no talk about any plan. so I was left wondering if they were going to plan anything or not, or if 6 months from now I would inquire about these "interventions" and either get blank stares, or they would say that the teacher used a graphic organizer 2 times and it seemed to help (with no real, objective data or progress monitoring)--kind of like what happened with DS and the "pencil grip".

P
    P
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    turns out there is actually a state statute staying that 2 interventions need to be tried before a child is referred to special ed, but the interventions can be waived at the discretion of the school, and can't be used to deny an evaluation (doesn't say anything about "delay"). This seems to be completely contrary to the US Dept of Ed memo.

This discussion has been really interesting blackcap - like your state statute, our school district requires RTI before an evaluation. I was told 6 weeks of RTI back when our ds was in 4th grade, but that's been quite a few years ago. The way we "got around" it was his teacher tried interventions while we were waiting for his initial team meeting to be scheduled and actually take place - sad but true!

I think that one thing you could do if your school insists upon interventions is to simply make a list of all interventions that have already been tried over however many years and put that forward as reason enough to say "we've tried interventions".

Best wishes,

polarbear

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Yeah, like the long-term sub she had last year who claimed she tried graphic organizers (at my request) and they didn't help at all. I don't understand what interventions they think would even be helpful. She writes really slow and has no idea what to write if she has to write more than a couple sentences. And who would do these interventions if the teacher already thinks she is fine. DD says she doesn't do any writing in language arts (other than basic grammar stuff) so no wonder the teacher doesn't see a problem. Anyway, I told the school that they are free to try interventions but there has to be a specific plan and there need to be measureable progress and objectives, which are then communicated with us in some way. Otherwise I want to go straight to an eval.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM