Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    hmm, guess I'm on the other side of this - for us, OT made a big difference, there was an obvious change in DS's behaviour if he didn't go to his weekly session. Our OT let me sit in on every session and answered every question I had happily, and was able to answer all the "why are you doing this" type of questions. We went from shutdown & meltdown every week to "hey, when last did that happen?" And, no, I don't think it was maturity-related...

We did the listening program, and to me DS definitely talked more after doing it (before doing TLP he fit enough symptoms of Expressive Language Disorder that we were going to have him assessed), seems to hear more of what is said around him (vs losing it in background noise, and his pitch is way better (musically). His tolerance for the noises that used to really challenge him also improved.

Yes, this is anecdotal, but just wanted to state that there are people for whom this type of therapy works. I guess a lot of it would depend on your therapist and how good they are, how well they can apply what they learnt vs simply using their bag of tricks as dictated in the textbook for reasons unknown to them (because, yes, we saw one of THOSE OTs too, and that WAS a disaster). I guess it also depends on what's really going on - maybe it worked for use because sensory issues were as deep as it went, rather than just one layer of the onion.

Glad your DH agreed to the neuropsych!

“...million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”
    -Terry Pratchett
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    I definitely got this feeling when I took DS to OTs. One of them put him on a spinning board for a few minutes each week, and then watched his eyes shaking back and forth. She couldn't seem to give me a logical explanation for why she was doing this. Then they wanted me to take him for vision therapy but couldn't really give me good reasons for that either. Metronome therapy was done on both my kids. It might have been somewhat helpful for DD but DS never seemed to improve.

When someone recommends a therapy for my child, I ask "what peer-reviewed research indicates that this is effective?"

It can also be useful to look at quackwatch.com or other sites.

There is a huge industry of snake-oil out there, preying on parents who are worried about their kids.

Anyhow-- Jkim, good for you-- I think you're doing the right thing by pursuing the neuropsych.

I would also recommend having DH spend lots of quality time with DS and other children, if he doesn't already, so that he actually has to manage these issues and sees them more clearly. That way it becomes a shared viewpoint, rather than just "your issue." Taking DS (2e/autism) to Scouts when he was young really helped DH see the challenges DS was facing.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by M2iChances
    hmm, guess I'm on the other side of this - for us, OT made a big difference, there was an obvious change in DS's behaviour if he didn't go to his weekly session. Our OT let me sit in on every session and answered every question I had happily, and was able to answer all the "why are you doing this" type of questions. We went from shutdown & meltdown every week to "hey, when last did that happen?" And, no, I don't think it was maturity-related...

We did the listening program, and to me DS definitely talked more after doing it (before doing TLP he fit enough symptoms of Expressive Language Disorder that we were going to have him assessed), seems to hear more of what is said around him (vs losing it in background noise, and his pitch is way better (musically). His tolerance for the noises that used to really challenge him also improved.

Yes, this is anecdotal, but just wanted to state that there are people for whom this type of therapy works. I guess a lot of it would depend on your therapist and how good they are, how well they can apply what they learnt vs simply using their bag of tricks as dictated in the textbook for reasons unknown to them (because, yes, we saw one of THOSE OTs too, and that WAS a disaster). I guess it also depends on what's really going on - maybe it worked for use because sensory issues were as deep as it went, rather than just one layer of the onion.

OT worked for two of my kids too - but it worked best (long-term) when it was prescribed after a neuropsych exam where we knew specifically what issues our child was dealing with. Our other OT experience (different child) happened before we took dd to a neuropsych - she was young, 5 years old, and her OT consisted of listening theory, work on muscle tone in her trunk, and various OT strategies to help her feel calm. OT was *wonderful* for her - the listening therapy helped transform her from a child who could not sit still and pay attention in class, and who was highly distracted by background noise, to being a child who was still, calm and focused in class. The thing was though - for all that it worked, it just masked what dd's real challenge was - she wasn't unable to sit still etc due to sensory issues, she couldn't see. The issues with vision caused her huge anxiety, that resulted in behaviors that looked like they were just one big tangle of sensory challenges, sensory OT really did help give her strategies to cope rather than automatically moving into those behaviors that didn't work for her… but they didn't solve the root issue, so instead of a child who was all over the place wiggly not sitting etc (and not seeing), we had a child who was calm, well-behaved in class, seemed to be doing a-ok (who still could not see). So she was able to coast with those strategies for 2 more years before she just couldn't cope anymore, we took her to a neuropsych, and the testing there clearly showed she had some type of issue with visual tasks.

So, fwiw, I think there is something to the listening therapy. It really did help our dd, and it wasn't being promoted by quacks - it was part of therapy provided by a highly respected OT team at our local children's hospital. But any therapy, no matter how well researched etc - isn't going to be worthwhile or effective if it's not being pursued with a thorough understanding of the broad scope of the needs of the child.

Hope that makes sense!

polarbear

J
    Jklm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Left a message for neuropsychologist this morning - hopefully she gets back to me soon.

DH sees the issues I'm seeing in DS, he just feels it's more "normal" than I do and thinks that DS needs time to grow and figure things out. I think that DS getting into trouble at school every day and making us stressed out every morning and night just trying to get through simple tasks is not something we should wait to resolve.

Good to hear the personal experiences and different opinions about OT, etc. For me, it was mainly the practitioner that turned me off. I gave her another chance even after seeing the "fill-in-the-blank" report, but it was the 30 minutes spent on handing DS fidget toys that really made me feel like it was a waste of time. Him playing with fidget toys in her office was certainly not going to help him.

The audiology appt we booked is at Able Kids in Colorado. Maybe after talking to the neuropsych I will cancel or delay it, but there were several hearty recommendations online and in an email list I belong to. Kai - they didn't have a problem with his age, and actually said it's good to get to the kids before they become too frustrated and start shutting down.

S
    S
    Glad to hear DH is on board with neuropysch. appointment.
    What is your school doing to accommodate him academically? Is he being accelerated at all? I just got behavior feedback from DD's teachers last year (1st and 2nd grade) and they reported no behavior problems at all, but noted she needed to be stimulated and engaged to avoid similar behaviors.

"they reported no behavior problems at all"

Ahhh - to dream the impossible dream. For us anyway ....

S
    S
    oh yes, we have our share too. She was in kinder at that time, and she got into trouble for speaking out pretty much every day, but had no complaints when she was sent to those other classrooms.

Fast forward to this year, she is in 1st grade and flips her behavior cards on a almost daily basis. eek

J
    Jklm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    DS6 was full grade accelerated into 2nd grade this year. The class is also a 2/3 combination, so theoretically he could be working at 3rd grade level within the same classroom (although, that would take the teacher actually allowing him to do so...work in progress)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM