Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #202464 10/01/14 07:16 AM
    M
    mykids Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Anyone have any good recommendations for tests to diagnosis dysgraphia?
    Thanks!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    PAL-2
    TOWL-4
    selected subtests of WJIII/IV, KTEA-III
    selected subtests of various cognitive and neuropsych instruments

But you want these in the context of the child's overall cognitive and academic functioning.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    mykids, I was curious about what brought you to consider testing for dysgraphia, so I looked back through a few of your old posts. Is this your 3rd grade ds that you're interested in testing? If so, I'd really recommend an evaluation that looks at his overall educational picture - not just dysgraphia. Your previous posts indicated he's had ongoing issues with possible underachievement in integrating reading, writing and spelling skills, and I think you mentioned he's already been through a Lindamood Bell course? Please forgive me if I'm remembering anything incorrectly. My concern as a parent would be that there's more going on than straightforward dysgraphia - possibly dyslexia, possibly something else. It sounds like you are having a PPT meeting at school soon - I'd recommend you either request a full eval through school, or seek out private neuropsychologist testing. Your previous posts mention having had an ed-psych eval at 6 that found no challenges other than EG, but now that 2-3 years have passed and your ds has been at school, there's more info to go on at a neuropsych eval. I'd also want to be sure that behavioral questionnaires and developmental history interview were included in the eval, and those are things that sometimes aren't included in an "ed psych" eval.

If you're interested in where my opinion comes from, I have a 14 year old who is 2e with dysgraphia and a 10 year old who is 2e with a disability impacting associative memory which in turn impacts her ability to read. She's not dyslexic in the classical sense, but faces many of the same struggles dyslexic students face. With both of my children, I had no idea what the *real* issue was behind their academic underachievement until they had full neuropsych exams - I was totally guessing entirely the wrong thing going into those exams. If I'd only had them tested for what I thought was going on, we wouldn't have found appropriate accommodation and remediation strategies. I think I've also mentioned on a previous post - my EG ds was first tested at 5 (almost 6) for a gifted program, and no LDs etc were found - but the subtest score patterns that were indicative of dysgraphia were absolutely there - the psychologist didn't recognize it as a challenge. Once he'd been in school for a few years, there was no question that he was challenged by *something*, so with the second go-round of testing being with a neuropsychologist, and going in with examples of issues such from his schoolwork, it was much a much clearer path to diagnosing the challenge.

If you're asking about testing for dysgraphia because you've already had the PPT team meeting and the school is going to do an evaluation, ask *your school staff* what tests they can use to evaluate written expression, handwriting legibility, handwriting speed, fine motor strength and dexterity etc.

Best wishes,

polarbear

M
    mykids Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks aeh and Polar Bear! Polar Bear, to answer you questions, yes same kid. I rushed off to get this post out this am, but the story is, as usual, more complicated. I have a ppt scheduled to review my request for a full eval. I was speaking to a friend who has a 6th grader who is very similar to my son and told me about dysgraphia dx in 6th grade. Turns out in our district, dyslexia and dysgraphia are not part of the "normal" panel of tests offered unless you specifically request them by name prior to 6th grade. I just want to arm myself as much as possible. Also, he has had a full behavioral work up as well and everyone is quite confident he does not have any behavioral issues interfering with his work. Thanks for the help.

C
    C
    I am very interested in this as well. If ds gas horrific handwriting that affects not only taking notes but also showing math to the point he can't even read his own writing is that cause for concern?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Cola
    I am very interested in this as well. If ds gas horrific handwriting that affects not only taking notes but also showing math to the point he can't even read his own writing is that cause for concern?
    Possibly.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    M
    Cola, teach him to type. There's an old thread here with recommended apps and programs to try using to take the writing load off and free his mind for more useful purposes.

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....nd_programs_for_dysgraph.html#Post177675

C
    C
    He can type very well and play piano. I already brought up to the teachers about letting him type instead of writing and they said they don't have computers in class. I was finally able to get permission to let him type up the homework at home but in class they expect him to write. Funny thing...he had a bunch of homework and he would always fight us on doing it and complain. We made the same kind of chart on word and let him type it instead of write by hand and not only did he get it done quickly but he was way more elaborate than he ever has been!

Z
    Z
    That's the biggest bummer about handwriting struggles. Expression and demonstration of non-handwriting related subjects are stilted due to efforts to minimize writing or reduce the error rate.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Cola
    Funny thing...he had a bunch of homework and he would always fight us on doing it and complain. We made the same kind of chart on word and let him type it instead of write by hand and not only did he get it done quickly but he was way more elaborate than he ever has been!

If ds gas horrific handwriting that affects not only taking notes but also showing math to the point he can't even read his own writing is that cause for concern?

These two observations together sound a lot like dysgraphia. I would ask him why he complains when he has to use handwriting for homework - you might ask him specifically if his hand hurts when he writes. Also observe his posture while he writes - does he hold his wrist or his elbow? Does he tire quickly when writing? Look at his handwriting samples - is his spelling ok or irregular? Does he use caps and lower case correctly consistently or does he have random caps where they don't belong? Are his letters and words spaced appropriately or irregularly? Does he have even pencil pressure when writing or do his papers look messy and crumpled?

Make a list of everything you've noted, and request the school do an evaluation for SLD / written expression. I would not be put off by his teacher not recognizing what dysgraphia is or thinking everything is a-ok. Just state your concerns and make a written request (email is ok) for the evaluation. Even though the teacher might not be familiar with dysgraphia, there is no doubt someone somewhere in the school district's SPED department that understands the terminology "specific learning disability in written expression". I suspect that the SPED department is familiar with the term dysgraphia, but it isn't something that a classroom teacher will necessarily understand.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 11/09/14 08:13 PM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM