Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Here's an article from the Star Tribune:

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/39238062.html?elr=KArksUUUU

Not near me, but yay for kids in Minnetonka!

WOW!!!

Comments are interesting as well.

Yes! Great read, thanks!

K
    K
    I saw this article too! Very interesting. I actually know someone who is looking into this school for their kids. But it says in the article you have to live in district for enrollment!? Which is surprising, because some of these programs have actually been used to draw more kids outside their own districts. Like the program in Spring Lake Park, MN and Atheneum in Inver Grove, MN. I know families that drive LONG distances to these schools. Anyway - we'll have to watch and see what happens with it! smile We aren't really looking right now because homeschooling is going extremely well, but you never know. I think this would be less than 20 miles from us. But probably an hour drive in traffic!

H
    H
    That's great for those in the area. I wish it were closer for us too but probably 2 hours for us.

Thanks that's great. If we can't make it work out close to home maybe this would be a good option?

O
    O
    You can open enroll - think 60% come from out of district. Message me for more info.

OP Offline
    Hey look at that, one of my old threads. smile I am aware of several families who really like the Minnetonka Navigator program. I encourage you to investigate it. I have also heard that the district may not be all the way caught up in training teachers in younger grades who will be eligible for the program, but hopefully they will continue to try to improve.

In general, and not just at this school, it seems especially tough for HG+ kids in kindergarten and first grade. It would be great if they either started these programs or elements of these programs earlier for those people drawn to the district because of the later programs or for those families with kids already in the program who also have younger kids who are likely to be eligible.

OP Offline
    I also recommend any families with GT kids to join Minnesota Council for the Gifted and Talented. They have a wonderful fall program every year, along with many other events. Also, there is a great yahoo email group where you can ask specific questions about all things GT in MN. Also, if you go to the bottom of this link http://mcgt.net/gifted101, you will see a link with the current gifted programs in MN. Not all are the same, and I encourage you to check them out to see which might be the best fit for your kid.

R
    R
    MCGT also has a fairly active homeschool chapter. The HS chapter puts on a good workshop in the Spring.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM