Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    Sjf Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I'm just curious. Ds had the state-wide reading and math evaluatins earlier this month and I will need to follow up with teachers etc about his results. Can I assume that they will be familiar with his scores?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    No.

Schools do look at results, but usually in aggregate, when making instructional groupings, or when screening for at-risk students. No reason to expect them to know your specific child's scores.

Last edited by aeh; 09/29/14 11:29 AM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    B
    B
    DD's teachers said they used the scores from the state testing last spring (along with other testing data they had) to ability-group the kids for math/reading. So it happens but I doubt every teacher/school does this. The teachers seem to use the computerized testing done for the district more often...at least to identify the low-performing kids because those kids are eligible for special pull-out services, and figure out which kids are high-ability so they can proceed to ignore them. smile This testing is done 2-3 times per year and is not required by the State.

I don't know how your state operates, but the scores weren't even available or released for 5 months. I still don't have any specifics, although I see some numbers posted online in DD's records now.

P
    P
    Ditto what aeh said, plus one additional caveat, which will be dependent on your state. Our state's standardized testing is designed only to check to see if students have mastered the bare bones of the curriculum goals for the grade they are in, and it's also a relatively low number of questions of each type. Hence it is not a test that will separate out kids who are truly working ahead - for instance, in the schools my kids have been in (in elementary, and not gifted magnet schools), it wasn't unusual for 25% or more of the students to score in the "advanced" category, so in our state, it's really not a test that can be used if you're advocating for differentiated work for your child. It's more often used to flag children who need extra help because they aren't keeping pace with the curriculum.

This could be entirely different where you live - I'd try to read everything you can on the test, and also see if you can view test summaries by school online to get an idea of how many students score in each category.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM