Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I have a meeting with the district this week because I found out DS will not get credit for online or summer institute courses. We didn't set out to take any courses for credit, but thought we'd ask in case he could graduate early. I asked for a meeting because I want to ask them how they can address my high ability kids, if not allowing online courses (from highly reputable univ/programs), because they cannot otherwise offer what they need. There are such limited electives, AP classes reserved for jrs/srs, math goes up to calculus, etc. and our community college offers very little else.

I have this vision that down the line, they'll allow 1/2 time enrollment, and let the boys do 1/2 online or dual enrollment, even for a freshman or sophomore. If a teacher is horrible, I'd have a choice of letting my son take the course elsewhere. I know I'm dreaming, but the actual high school is a nightmare for an HG kid. Are there alternatives I don't know about that I should be advocating for to accommodate HG needs?

Will a community college let them enroll in a class or two?

You should advocate that they make a list of approved programs that they will give credit for . I will PM you a link, if I find it :-) But aren't CTY courses generally given credit for? Is there an option of testing out of a class?

Well, where I was really going with this is that perhaps there are other options if the school won't allow part time status. In our state legislation allows for part time school but the wording is vague and could probably be challenged. BTW, the school didn't offer up this info, I found it myself and then they verified it and said they would work with us if it came to it. Admittedly, they would rather have the children in school the entire day.
    At the high school level another alternative would be to have the child pass community college classes. At that point the community college would be more likely to accept the student even at a younger age. Then the student could fulfil requirements to be entranced into a more traditional college. At that point, withdrawl from high school after passing the GED would be appropriate as child is already on their way to college. There are obvious drawbacks, but, I would say choose your poison. If you let a kid sit in class for four years doing nothing because they have already mastered the material, then aren't you conditioning that child to be unproductive. To, spin their wheels, so to speak?
    I don't know the severity of the situation....just an idea.......
    smile

Could you set up some kind of independent study contract? Credit by examination? (This is different from "testing out" of a class.)

Our district has an independent study charter school. It's not exactly homeschooling because you and the school create the plan of study and they approve the curriculum. But the student studies at home on their own schedule.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    At that point, withdrawl from high school after passing the GED would be appropriate as child is already on their way to college. There are obvious drawbacks, but, I would say choose your poison.
    smile

Argh. This is all so depressing. Intelligent kids are the future of this country and our school system actively squanders them.

I've been dealing with this idea elsewhere today and it's so frustrating that everyone is subject to a set of ridiculous ideas espoused by "educators." Someone seems to have had a bad idea some time ago and now everyone else at the schools just goes along with it!

I mean, who decided that the best thing for a kindergartner is to learn to identify letters, regardless of actual knowledge? And why do you have to be 16 to take an AP course? Arghhh!

--------

Cym: community colleges usually offer courses on discrete maths, linear algebra, and statistics. Some even have independent study options allowing a student to explore a topic in depth. Would these courses be useful?

Val

Last edited by Val; 07/15/08 03:13 PM.
    C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Great suggestions! Thank you! I will ask about these possibilities.

I feel like they're all trying to keep it secret (school counselors/administrators) because I've met with them SO many times and made no progress. Partly because of turnover.

incog, we have similar legislation and funding for dual enrollment classes/concurrent enrollment, but the district has decided to reserve it for jrs & srs. Driving down to the college, waiting there, and driving back, for one kids when you have 4 seems old-fashioned in this internet age. I know human instruction is valuable, but if you had a self-teaching personality kid, wouldn't you opt for internet? My other kids are not as much like that.

C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Quote from Val:

"Someone seems to have had a bad idea some time ago and now everyone else at the schools just goes along with it!

I mean, who decided that the best thing for a kindergartner is to learn to identify letters, regardless of actual knowledge? And why do you have to be 16 to take an AP course?"

I Know! Isn't it cruel? Control freaks! I will keep trying because this is only the beginning of High School drama for me (1 in & 3 more coming up).

Part of my beef may not be reasonable, even to you all...The quality of teachers varies. Last year DS was in Honors Eng. The teacher was not good, lots of people left class, even as late as last 9wks, transferring to regular english (no honors) because of teacher. I wish we had the freedom to opt out of a class offered if we didn't like the teacher for an online or community college offering and then the district could identify weak teachers and Make Changes. I know this is unrealistic because of teachers' unions, but the school won't approve an online class that they offer.

We all know that we suffered through some pretty quirky teachers in high school, so I wonder if my quest for DS to not waste time, not suffer through, is just part of the usual High School experience. Not every class is going to be valuable, interesting, engaging. Is it just having too high expectations?

On the topic of teachers, I think it is important for teenagers to start taking charge of their learning regardless of the teacher. This is an important skill for college and grad. school. Maybe the teacher is lousy, but kids can learn to follow the rules and get the grade while doing their real learning. Of course, this advice does not apply to abusive situations and if most of the classes your child is taking are like this, it's time to look for a new learning environment.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by cym
    I wish we had the freedom to opt out of a class offered if we didn't like the teacher for an online or community college offering and then the district could identify weak teachers and Make Changes. I know this is unrealistic because of teachers' unions, but the school won't approve an online class that they offer.

Unrealistic as things are now, maybe. But this doesn't make it right. How many people don't have to be assessed at work? I don't know of many groups other than teachers that escape performance assessment.

Have you asked them (perhaps in writing) WHY the online classes don't qualify? Sometimes you can get what you want this way if they can't supply a bona fide reason. This worked for me recently when I asked why my son hadn't passed a small swim test that he'd passed the previous 20 times he'd taken it. I kept asking, very politely, if the tester could tell me exactly what went wrong so I could help him improve. She couldn't provide an answer after I asked 4 times (kept giving a noncommittal answer) and let him take the test again and he passed.

Val

Last edited by Val; 07/15/08 04:04 PM.
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM