Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    A
    apm221 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    There was a recent thread about a six year old unhappy about other kids killing insects. My daughter has always been sensitive about that, but we have run into a situation that needs to be addressed.

Another child is deliberately harassing my daughter by killing insects at recess, or inciting others to do it, specifically because be knows it upsets my nine year old DD so much. She guarded a spider for the entire recess period this week only to have him step on it when she had to line up to go in.

I think this constitutes bullying, but the only response we're getting from the school is that he's doing it for attention and she needs to ignore him (she has talked with her teacher about it daily and I have talked with the teacher once).

I'd like to know if others think this constitutes bullying; maybe they would take it more seriously if I sent a formal letter using that sort of language. My DD is begging not to go to school as a result (for anyone who came across my other thread, yes, we are having both kids dealing with things at the same time).

Last edited by apm221; 09/23/14 08:31 PM.
    E
    E
    Yes, I think there is no question that that is bullying.

G
    GGG Offline
    G
    I vote that it's bullying as well.

22B Offline
    I wasn't sure, but the school's reaction convinces me that it is bullying.

I
    I
    First, I'm sorry this is happening to another kid. Yes, it fits the definition of bullying. As far as whether a letter would help the school see the situation, I am less certain. However sometimes it is important that our children see us try to resolve the issues which are important to them. Two thoughts prior to proceeding:

1) Some institutions may boast of decreased incidents of bullying when in fact they expend their effort not on resolving such situations in a manner which decreases repeated or future aggressive behavior, but may rather focus their effort on reducing the reporting of bullying. For example, the school may shame the parent or child who brings forward an issue, with statements to the effect that the parent/child is taking up too much time, other students need to be served, tasks must be prioritized. Essentially trivializing the concerns, treating them as petty, and calling the reporter's judgment into question.*

2) You may wish to do some research and gather facts about what bullying is... and isn't... so that these facts may be incorporated into your letter, related to the facts of the incidents as they occurred. Some research ideas:
    - Does your school have a bully policy (possibly found on the school website)?
    - American Psychological Association (APA) has information on its website about bullying. Notice that bullying involves a real or perceived "imbalance of power". *This may be as simple as "You're the only person who cares about XXX", where XXX may be bugs, name-calling, etc. This type of statement, meant to dissuade a person from their view and coerce them to adopt group-think, may be socially isolating, demonstrating an imbalance of power.
    - There's an Elementary School Counseling website which has information about bullying, coincidently one of the activities listed is called bully bugs.

Here's hoping all goes well.

A
    apm221 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    They do have a policy on bullying, but I'm not sure how well it is followed. My daughter reported a bullying incident once (a group of kids physically hitting another, who was on the ground, on the playground). As far as I could tell, nothing happened (I'm sure details would be confidential regardless, but I thought someone would at least respond to my letter of concern by saying, "we'll look into it").

There seem to be signs about bullying everywhere, but it still seems very common.

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    The earlier thread was about my son. I'm sorry this is happening to another child. I wrote a longer response but it seems to have been lost.

I'll wait until tomorrow to see if it pops up before I respond again.

If you are ever in the Seattle area, PM me. Perhaps our little nature lovers would enjoy meeting each other.

I
    I
    They do have a policy on bullying, but I'm not sure how well it is followed.
    A school's policies are the school's proactive consideration of what it agrees to do if/when a described set of circumstances occurs. The school documents these agreements to manage expectations. Some may say the goal of a written letter would be enforcement of the policy/practice/position statement. The letter would point to the policy, possibly quoting it, showing how the facts which occurred match the policy. A notification, by letter or casual mention, simply raises awareness that according to school policy, events have occurred to trigger the implementation of the steps outlined in that policy, essentially holding the school accountable.

Anti-bully advocacy is not solely for the benefit of the victim. I'm with squishys, and this quote from the other thread especially resonates with me:
    Originally Posted by post from other thread
    One of my favourite sayings is, "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child, as it is to the caterpillar" ~Bradley Miller
    I'm also bringing over this thought from a post on the other thread, as well: Although a bug is not a mammal, the element of killing it to get a reaction brings to mind that childhood cruelty to animals may be an early warning for later trouble. This article mentions possible motivations including "a vehicle for emotional abuse" (bullying/intimidation), and a desire to "alleviate boredom or achieve a sense of control."

E
    E
    Bullying or not, it is behaviour that needs to be addressed by the school. If the child NEEDS extra attention then the school should provide it in a positive way so others do suffer (like you DD). Good luck.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by apm221
    I think this constitutes bullying, but the only response we're getting from the school is that he's doing it for attention and she needs to ignore him (she has talked with her teacher about it daily and I have talked with the teacher once).
    Although the children are being mean, I don't expect the school to use staff to prevent children from killing insects at recess. They could tell certain children not to talk to your daughter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM