Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 248 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    F
    F
    Aufilia, I sent you a pm.

G
    GGG Offline
    G
    I have thought of this post many times since it started a few weeks ago. My DS 3.5 has a new obsession: writing/making books/spelling. It's ALL DAY. He does this for an hour before preschool, then at preschool, then for hours at home. Just spelling, spelling, spelling, writing and making these little books. It's been about 5 days now. And when he's not sitting down doing the writing, he's spelling outloud. I have a feeling that when he feels this is mastered, it will settle down.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    GGG, my son going to preschool for almost a month and in this month, what he do the most is writing too!!! Before he went to preschool, he keep writing number, and now he write numbers and letters (and some simple words that he can spell e.g. ten, nine, one), he also write some "words" that make up by his own and pretend saying english. I feel like his brain is overwhelm after attending the school, and he seems processing the English right now...
    He used to play board games, lego, smart games with me, but now he refuse to play them all, just writing.... =_=

Originally Posted by Shelli
    Do the numbers your son describes stay constant? For example, is 51 *always* rice? Is 100 always a boy & 17 a girl? Do the numbers have "personalities"?

If not, then it could be an ASD-type behavior, an OCD behavior, or even just a particularly strong gifted quirk. It's hard to tell, but good that your pedi is aware & is watching to see how he develops.

If the numbers are personified & those "personalities" remain consistent, then there is only one place I have heard of that - a documentary on a little girl named Joni Schofield, who has childhood-onset schizophrenia. Please do NOT let that alarm you - I have no reason to suspect that diagnosis for your son & am certainly no expert. It just popped into my mind as I read your description & I wanted to point it out in case it is an area of interest. The phenomenon is described below:

"One of the primary symptoms of schizophrenia is the perception and personalization of connections and patterns that do not exist in reality. People tend to make sense of reality and perceive patterns through filters, one of which is numbers. They're the building blocks of pattern recognition and they are also ubiquitous. It's pretty easy to see patterns in numbers that are not there, even if your brain does not have a predisposition towards doing so."

Val,

My DD has insisted that numbers have personalities so the above triggered a flurry of frantic googling LOL

It turns out that it isn't always associated with mental illness and is relatively common.

OLP link on wikipedia

More info on synesthesia here

Even more here

The poor girl Jani Schofield does experience OLP but it is also accompanied by a litany of other symptoms too; self harm, an entire imaginary place, Calinini, where the characters hurt her and tell her to hurt others etc:-

A piece on Jani Schofield

I am not a clinician so your YMMV, just a parent trying to do this best for his DD and to stay informed :-)

Last edited by madeinuk; 09/24/14 04:08 AM.

Become what you are
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I don't know how I missed the schizophrenia post...

...but, no, I wouldn't worry about that based only on the descriptions we've heard so far. Quite a few math-minded children perceive numbers as having other qualities. Synesthesia is not particularly unusual (I think I've mentioned that one of my siblings, now a math professor, associates them with colors).

I also would tend to downgrade ASD concerns based on the shifting of his obsessions, and how they correspond with new skill areas. Most children--gifted and otherwise--have periods of focus on mastery of a skill, or working through a developmental problem. It may be more pronounced in GT kids.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by aeh
    I also would tend to downgrade ASD concerns based on the shifting of his obsessions, and how they correspond with new skill areas. Most children--gifted and otherwise--have periods of focus on mastery of a skill, or working through a developmental problem. It may be more pronounced in GT kids.

Our very clearly ASD DS12 has had shifting obsessions over the years, most of them academic. Sometimes they last a year, in which he quickly masters an enormous body of material at a high level, then he goes on to the next one.

What's distinctive about the ASD obsessiveness (again IME) is that it inhibits other kinds of learning and flexibility. That is, the child needs to keep talking about surface temperatures of planets when other kids are trying to engage him in play, or the teacher is saying it's time to clean up.

If the obsession is interfering with learning other things, with appropriate social interaction, or with the kind of flexibility that's needed to function in a variety of environments, that's where I would call it a problem rather than a gifted quirk.

YMMV, of course.
    DeeDee

U
    U
    Oh yes, my DD, about whom I have no concerns re schizophrenia, says numbers have feelings (for example, 7 is a happy yellow number, IIRC, and 8 is green and jealous). She is very obviously synesthetic. It's common to have these associations in synesthesia.

U
    U
    Also, yes, both of my children have had strong interests but have never had a real tendency at all to "overtalk" them to others or to refuse to shift from them to other topics. In fact, DD is reticent to discuss her birding interest with other kids because she is a bit worried it could be perceived as odd.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Good point. The social communication impairments are the critical quality for ASD. Focal interests are not the same as restricted interests.

And "interfering" is also the key test that I personally think should be used for whether something is a problem.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    I
    birding interest
    Did you know, there is a friendship and social skills book for kiddos, Speak Up and Get Along! which is written with each chapter cleverly related to the strengths and characteristics of different birds (with a bit of creative license).

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM