Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 234 of 268 1 2 232 233 234 235 236 267 268
    I hope it is alright for me to post this here... DS (18mo) is far too young to confirm giftedness, however we have our suspicions. ;-)

In under a month, his expressive vocabulary has increased by over 100 words, leaving him around the 250 word mark (high normal for 24mo). He is also using pronouns, adjectives & other parts of speech to extend his average utterances into true sentences as opposed to single or grouped words. It feels AMAZING to be able to truly begin "conversing" with him!

Not as bragsome as some of the posts here but I am proud nevertheless and I have nobody else in our community to brag to about this.

My DD skipped 3rd to go straight into 4th last year and the NJASK scores were made available yesterday. She scored Advanced Proficient in all tested areas at the end of last year. Maths and Science were 300/300 each whereas LA was not as good - she just scraped by into Advanced Proficient with a 251/300.

The LA score was 'OK' but surprising because her VCI is higher than her PRI both of which are not too shabby. I caught her dumbing down the other day ( see my 'you know you are raising a gifted child' post) so perhaps this is the issue.

Either way, I will be watching this like a hawk this year as dumbing down is something I had to do growing up in a deprived neighborhood and I never ever want to see her doing it...

Last edited by madeinuk; 09/19/14 03:13 PM.

Become what you are
    Madeinuk -- bragsome enough!

I
    I
    I wrote a couple weeks ago that I thought dd 2 3/4 could read more than the few words that I knew that she knew. There are several words that she learned a long time ago (Over a year ago). Yesterday, she was in a particularly bubbly mood and demonstrated her ability to read for about a 1/2 hour. Today, I am curious whether she will still know how to read, or if she will again pretend to be unable.

I often think she can read quite well as she knows things that I feel most likely she had figured out by reading, but she has been very cloak and dagger about this skill until yesterday. She has not hid the fact that she has memorized most books that we read to her and she has readily shown off that she knows what is said on every page, but it has always been a memory feat. This was different; she was very much demonstrating to us that she could read. It was as though she was ready to let the cat out of the bag.

She didn't tell us that she knows how to read, and I didn't think to ask. When I have asked in the past she has said things like "No, I am too little daddy." (I think she picked that up from daycare. I know one of the caretakers said that in her previous class, in front of all of the kids during a long monolog about why toddlers should not be shown the alphabet until they are older.)

A
    A
    Squishys, that's terrific! Isn't it exciting to see them gradually unveil what they can do? I'm sure you'll continue to be awed by your littlest man.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    I love reading these latest adventures! All excellent reasons to brag!! laugh

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    E
    E
    DD10 does not know how to swim, because she is so intolerant of the noise and of getting splashed at the pool that she has never managed to take lessons successfully.

She decided this summer that she wanted to try again, and I enrolled her in swim lessons on Monday and Wednesday afternoons. Her first lesson was yesterday. (In the future, she will get there on her own, but I went with her yesterday to sign her in and confirm that it would be OK for her to be there without an adult from now on.) She went under water multiple times and blew bubbles without visible distress. She clearly didn't like kids kicking in the water near her, but she turned her head away and maintained her composure. She also showered before and after getting in the pool without me telling her to.

I am very, very proud of how well she did. smile It has been bothering me for a long time that neither kid can swim, but she finally seems ready to learn.

A
    A
    My 6 year old DS came home disappointed that his teacher did not know what he was talking about and asked him to stop being silly when in the math lesson he added two numbers mentally and then gave her 2 answers: one in the decimal system and the other in the base 4 number system just because it seemed like a good thing to do!

I told him that it was OK if the teacher did not know about other number systems and how to convert back and forth between them mentally. I also told him that I was proud that he had this skill and that it would come in handy in his computer science classes whenever he gets to take them!

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by ashley
    My 6 year old DS came home disappointed that his teacher did not know what he was talking about and asked him to stop being silly when in the math lesson he added two numbers mentally and then gave her 2 answers: one in the decimal system and the other in the base 4 number system just because it seemed like a good thing to do!

I told him that it was OK if the teacher did not know about other number systems and how to convert back and forth between them mentally. I also told him that I was proud that he had this skill and that it would come in handy in his computer science classes whenever he gets to take them!

Perhaps you could email the teacher some webpages to enlighten her, so she can keep up.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radix
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_numeral_system

H
    H
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    DD10 does not know how to swim, because she is so intolerant of the noise and of getting splashed at the pool that she has never managed to take lessons successfully.

I am very, very proud of how well she did. smile It has been bothering me for a long time that neither kid can swim, but she finally seems ready to learn.

Good job to your DD!

Page 234 of 268 1 2 232 233 234 235 236 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM