Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 28 of 35 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 34 35
    A
    A
    I am anxiously waiting to see if my DS will qualify for the Youth Scholar program. I am hoping to find some resources to help challenge my son as the rural elementary school he attends does not have many resources. His gifted teacher has to run to three different elementary schools (only 1 elementary teacher for all of the students). He learns very quickly and has reported that school is too easy.

B
    B
    Yay we made it in this month! So relieved. Best wishes to you angelah. smile

L
    L
    Congratulations, brandijocelyn!!!

Best of luck, angelah!

DS6 is also now a DYS!

A
    A
    Thanks everyone. DS8 was accepted also! I am anxious to get the paperwork in and to see what they can do to help ensure he reaches his fullest potential!

L
    L
    Hi Everyone, We are getting ready to send in our application to DYS and I have a question I want to throw out regarding the qualifying criteria...

We have option#1 scores in spades, for option #2 we thought we had a qualifying WIAT III score for the reading composite, but the tester did not do all 4 subtests, so what I have are qualifying scores in Reading comprehension and word reading, but no scores for decoding and oral reading, hence no composite score. The tester thinks I should submit anyway because in her opinion the two tests she did not do would have no effect on the overall picture.

I plan on submitting the email exchange I had with the tester about this so they see her reasoning and hope that they agree, otherwise I will have to pay for the additional tests...boo.

So my question is if you all think I should submit something else as well? I do have ERB test results that I could include, but I don't know if those would have any real effect. I prefer the test results as opposed to work samples, seems cut and dry that way as opposed to opinion.

Any advice for us would be appreciated! Thanks!

L
    L
    Hi Labmom, I think you have 2 options: 1) submit what you have with a portfolio; 2) have testing done to obtain composite scores.

I submitted scores for my 2 DYS (we've never tried the portfolio option, but plenty of others have - successfully). For DS, he had a WJ performed very young for a gifted program, with high subtest scores, but no composite. I opted to have him retested on the WIAT almost 2 years later, so we could get the required composites. The added benefit for us was a chance to allow him to demonstrate his newfound love of math.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you and your DC!

L
    L
    Thanks Loy58. We went ahead and had DD finish the subtests to get the total composite. If we can figure out how to answer the application questions intelligently we'll apply this month :-)

C
    C
    Hi all, I am new to this forum. I have a 5 years old son, whose IQ test scores meet the criteria to apply for Davidson Institute.

We are thinking of going with the portfolio option, but wonder what kind of work samples we could provide for 5 years old to better support our application. He is in kindergarten, and does not produce much work sample.

His strongest area is working memory, and he does pretty well for the rest of the subtests except for a low processing speed score 124 due to usually low cancellation score, his scored around 150 for bug search and animal coding.

Here are some ideas I have in mind:
    - math: video of him doing math problems (large number addition, multi-digit multiplication). demonstrate mental math skills; he is very good at logic games, but don't know how to demonstrate that.
    - reading comprehension: have his teacher give him some 3rd grade article, and have him mark the answers, have teacher sign off that he does it without help
    - oral reading: video of him reading articles 2 or 3 grade above his age peers
    - would a video demonstrating him reading a foreign language at advanced level help?

- science: no idea
    - discussion: no idea. He loves music and could talk a lot about great musicians and etc, but music is not counted.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

N
    N
    Is it possible to apply to Davidson gifted with just the explore results and not IQ test?

S
    S
    Yes, if you submit a portfolio.

Page 28 of 35 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 34 35

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM