Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #201739 09/23/14 04:35 AM
    M
    Madoosa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Aiden asked me what grade level he is working on currently. The only checklists I can find online are our local ones and the US common core ones. Is there another one that anyone knows of that would be useful to use? Ideally I think I need lists for Grade 4 - 6

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    K
    K
    A homeschooling friend recently mentioned the Hirsch ones to me. He wrote the "What Your ____ Grader Should Know" books and I believe they predate common core. I haven't used/read them so I cannot vouch for them but I know they were recommended to her by several people.

C
    C
    These are not checklists but I used them when I was homeschooling to prove to myself that I wasn't letting my kid fall behind. They just made me feel good that oh ihave covered that and oh he knows that and some days I just picked something random out of the book and went over it as a fun side learning activity. I didn't think of it at all as a curriculum or as a some sort of authority check list. This is just a resource that you might like and might not. (Maybe I shouldn't even post this I am so defensive about it.

It is a series of books. Don't know anything about the revised editions I am sure I wouldn't like them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0385312601/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1411473123&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    There's this: www.worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study. There is also the book Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp.

The problem with these types of checklists is that determining what grade level a kid is working at is much more complicated than looking at what subjects they're studying or what books they're reading.

M
    Madoosa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    thanks everyone! I will check these out smile

Kai - that's exactly it! And when you add in asynchronous behaviour and learning patterns it's just a whole ball of fun. Usually I tell him you are between grade x and y. And he can see what grade Dreambox says and what grade is written on the front of a variety of workbooks that are strewn around. I kind of get stuff that I think he would find interesting and challenging and that leaves a rather large gap between the two.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM