Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 100 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    M
    My DD was intensely obsessed with math. It was insanity.

She also didn't bond with classmates until she started her current preschool at age 3.8 but she has always loved participating in group activities, especially circle time and lunch. She is now a bit of a queen bee and social butterfly at school. If she were still ignoring her classmates at age 4, I'd be rather worried.

Your DS is still very young but if you are concerned, I'd consider appropriate interventions.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thank you so much! You all are very informative!

We are currently waiting for another evaluation for him and see if he can received any ABA for his restricted interest and social skill, hope he will be qualify.

He speak cantonese at home, but the teacher said thathe understand what they said n follow directions, sometimes he did answer their questions (related to number)

I forget to mention that he also have sensory processing disorder. He is hypersensitive to light, sound, touch, but he did improve a lot in this 2 yrs in his snse of touch n light, but still very seneitive to noise. It may be one reason that affect his social skill too.

Yup, he does have good eye contact with ppl, n reponse to his name, have normal conversation, he tell jokes, his main problem is restricted interest, but he does flap hands when frustrasted, he doesnt line up toys but he did make many symmetrical patterns, oh actually, he is the same as what Flyingmouse describe!

Flyingmouse, would you mind sharing some experience with me, e.g. what difficulties did ur son face before? He sound likes doing good with friends n is a very interesting person.

Thanks.

Last edited by Cynthialcy; 09/09/14 05:41 PM.
    M
    M
    Cynthialcy, my DD lined up everything she could get her hands on including toys AND candy. When she was more interested in making patterns with M & M than she was eating them, I was rather worried. She also used to love staring at our washing machine and loved spinning toys.

She also had extreme sensitivities to noise and serious sleep issues.

I was never concerned about ASD though despite the"red flags."

It's not that she is now a perfect child who is well-behaved all the time but she certainly would rather eat candy than line them up these days. So for her, the red flags were developmental quirks.

I personally feel that appropriate therapy with an competent therapist won't do much harm and can only help. I hope your DS gets the help he needs.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks Mana, my son doesn't do any pattern now too, but he still loves star at spinning objects, and he can detect any spinning stuff in the environment. Somehow we believed that his nerves wiring is really so different from us :P

My son does have some friends he like to play with, two are boys (he is a bit scare of girl i think) and both of them speak cantonese, language may be a problem for his social interaction in sch.

Actually when i Google search for obsessive interest, ASD and Giftedness pop up, and this is the first time I think that my son may be ASD or gifted (or both or none :P) In my culture (and in my childhood) we seldom heard about giftedness, so i didn't know anything about it. (I only thought that gifted = Newton/Einstein, etc) Somehow it is really confused for me for my son's intense interest, should I stop him learning his math? or should I follow his lead?

Yup, we are looking for a therapy for him too. ^^

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Mana
    Cynthialcy, my DD lined up everything she could get her hands on including toys AND candy. When she was more interested in making patterns with M & M than she was eating them, I was rather worried. She also used to love staring at our washing machine and loved spinning toys.

She also had extreme sensitivities to noise and serious sleep issues.

I was never concerned about ASD though despite the"red flags."

It's not that she is now a perfect child who is well-behaved all the time but she certainly would rather eat candy than line them up these days. So for her, the red flags were developmental quirks.

I personally feel that appropriate therapy with an competent therapist won't do much harm and can only help. I hope your DS gets the help he needs.

I just have to mention that my siblings and I used to love sitting in front of the front-load washing machine "watching TV" together. (We had an actual TV, but this was probably more stimulating!)

But seriously, I would echo the thought that therapy with a skilled practitioner won't hurt, and might help. If your insurance covers it, it might be worth investigating.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Cynthialcy
    Somehow it is really confused for me for my son's intense interest, should I stop him learning his math? or should I follow his lead?

We had a kid like this. We chose to let him learn math, but we also constantly worked to expand his horizons. He was scared of the woods; we kept at it and now he regularly goes camping. He hates sports and was terrible at them; we worked on those skills and he eventually played football with other boys at recess.

Anything that limited his world, we worked on. This included play skills that let him participate with other kids, and following rules or instructions given by other adults.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    aeh, you are so fun, u make me think of my childhood, i like to see pinwheels when i was a kid too :P

Thanks for all your opinions, i will go for a ABA for my son for sure ^^

DeeDee, my son also doesn't like to run (and he doesn't know how to jump yet at 3), I try so hard to work on those skill too, he likes soccer and swimming, thinking to let him join some sport team too.

G
    GGG Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Flyingmouse
    I also want to add that some of my son's ASD characteristics make him a more interesting person. He is much more passionate about things than his sibs. When he wants to learn about something, he goes full force. We have some very interesting conversations because he thinks in a very unconventional way. His PG sister does not operate the same way, so it's not just because he has a high IQ and is a DYS. I just want to say this because I feel like a lot of people are afraid of ASD, but there are a lot of significant figures in history with ASD. I can see that some of his traits will help him out in the long-term if they are nurtured appropriately.

Beautiful statement!

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Cynthialcy
    So I am wondering how intense is the obsessive interested of other kids, will your LO refuse to learn other stuff other than their interest?

My son does like to learn reading at home, but doesn't interest to learn it in school.

My DD has been dx with ASD, ADHD, and is PG. She's currently obsessed with cats, but not to the point where she doesn't learn or do other things. She actually really likes to do math and she could spend hours laying around reading books. Of course, if the book happens to have cats in it, or if she can convince someone to give her a Hello Kitty sticker on her math sheets, so much the better.

At age 3 she was actually really into cars. That year she pretended she was a little white car, and whenever we went anywhere she always wanted me to tell her what the other cars on the road where (make and model) and she eventually learned to identify a number of them herself. (She could also read by this age so sometimes she just read what was printed on them, of course.) She also liked to play pretend with her dollhouse, read, do math, dot-to-dots, etc. The next 2ish years she was really into ducks, then around 1st grade she landed on cats.

At age 5 she was evaluated but not dx with ASD because she rated quite decently on some measures used but they said she might be in the future, and she was, at age 8.

She also has especially poor eye contact, lots of sensory processing stuff, poor muscle tone, and is very inflexible, so lots of other stuff going on besides the cat obsession.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Shelli, Sorry that I skip your message when reading the reply (I have to go for eye check..=_=), it is interesting to bring out about "schizophrenia", somehow we did feel like he has some hallucination. It is really hard to tell as at this age, kids have lots of imaginations. I will check it out, thanks a lot.

Hi Aufilia, thanks for sharing, it sounds like my son. He does do sth else at home (e.g. he likes to learn phonics, like to play balls, and like to listen to musics), but in a new environment, he only does his maths, i think he feel safe about it. He is a very anxious kid. Too bad to know that your DD dx with ASD in age 8 but not at age 5, my son has to do evaluation every years to check if he is in the spectrum of ASD or not. Somehow i really hope that if one day he does dx with ASD, please dx it as early as possible such that he can have free therapy as early as possible. =_=

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM