Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    As mentioned here before, we began a search for a new school on the advice of our psych. and the head of our children's supplemental school (it caters to gifted kids). DD9 is very unhappy with her public school. Supplemental school director recommended a certain private school so DH and I toured it over a week ago. At our 1st meeting, the principal claimed that students there work 2 years ahead of kids in public schools, stated it is a project based school (quarter long projects), and that all kids are at the 80th percentile or above, but she couldn’t state if any of the kids were at DD’s level because she didn’t have any children’s IQs. The school also offered a personalized learning plan that is updated quarterly with 3 goals – 2 learning goals and 1 life and career goal (social/emotional/organizational). The principal leaned toward whole grade acceleration as DD is single subject accelerated in math and AIG both LA and math (this week was put in AIG 5th grade math although she’s only in 4th grade so she is accelerated even more now?).
    These are some of the other items principal mentioned:
    -Students grouped for instruction in reading and math by “I Ready” computerized assessment
    -SAT 10 given Top 3 last 10 years, generally in the 90th percentile
    -STEM school/all about critical thinking
    -8 field trips at least (per year? semester?) one is out of town
    -each grade only one class, each class about 12 or so kids

Next step – DD9 spent a day there last week in the 4th grade. She didn’t hate it which was a big step. She loved technology. She felt that math was too easy – like 4th grade math. That concerned me as she’s already in 5th grade math in her school plus pre- algebra after school, and yet this school claims to do math 2 years ahead of public school. But, I am going by what a 9 year old says. So I am withholding judgment. DD says language arts is just like her school as well.

Today:
    Principal tells us on advice of all the teachers they won’t accelerate DD because: worried about the developmental aspects of skipping, worried that because they are so rigorous that she won’t be able to make up the gaps in her knowledge, feel she’s a better fit with the 4th graders. Aren’t these all the arguments that have been discounted? Do I ignore the fact that my child found the work easy (although it was just one day)? Also, her pre – algebra teacher suggested she be grade skipped. And he’s the guy who suggested the school.

I have to admit I was rather surprised. And, how do we really determine this school is running 2 years ahead academically? We would be shelling out a lot of money to place our child here, and we need to know it really is the right fit. I look at the curriculum, and my head just swims. What should be our next step as parents? So far the other school parents I have talked to don’t have gifted kids like DD. This is really stressful. I have a call out to the psych. as well.

D
    D
    I would ask them to use the Iowa Acceleration Scale.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    I asked them to, and they didn't know what it was.

22B Offline
    Why pay a lot of money for something not so great when you can get something not so great for free?

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    A couple of things...

This school probably has a fair number of special snowflakes. If the school does something "special" for a new kid it could cause a lot of headaches for the admins. I am not saying this should matter but it could be shaping their decision.

My son's school sounds similar and overall it works for him.

Maybe see if you could do another trial day (or two). It is a big decision and when you have a child with unusual needs you are at a disadvantage in decision making because references from other parents are not necessarily helpful.

You could also ask what exactly is expected to be covered this year in each subject. I doubt most parents know what is in each grade. I certainly don't.

Good luck!

A
    A
    A few things to check for: ask the school for the list of curricula they use. for e.g. what math do they use (if it is Saxon, Singapore etc, they will have the grade level on the book cover) - so you will know for sure if their math is 2 years ahead of PS kids. When I changed schools I asked for the exact books to be used for my child to determine if the acceleration promised was real or not.
    Also try to get your DD to take an out of level achievement test through a talent search if you have not already done so. The scores should convince the school on the grade level acceleration.
    And finally, let them know that you are looking for acceleration or skip and that would be the major factor in deciding to move from the current school. I am sure that they want your DD in their school and will try to accommodate you smile

I
    I
    While a school may teach two years above public school, and that may be true in general, it may not necessarily mean that the school is teaching two years above a particular public school. You've received great advice regarding comparing curriculum and textbooks used within each school, if the comparative level of instructional materials may be a deciding factor for your family.

If a school is unfamiliar with use of the Iowa Acceleration Scale, parents may wish to raise the administration's awareness of this important tool. Based upon your audience, there are several links you may wish to choose among. For your convenience, here are a few:
    - Hoagies http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/iowa_accel_scale.htm
    - Great Potential Press http://www.greatpotentialpress.com/iowa-acceleration-scale-3rd-edition-complete-kit
    - IRPA, Belin-Bank http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/resources/ias.aspx

You may have potential allies in your advocacy, as you mentioned that both your psych and your after-school have referred you to this particular school. You may wish to discuss your experiences, thoughts, and concerns with these potential supporters and see what level of collaboration may be possible. As a part of this effort, you may also wish to see if they are familiar with the IAS, and the Davidson Educator's Guild. If they are not already familiar with these resources, their level of service to the community may be enhanced by becoming aware of them at this point.

More advocacy articles from the Davidson Database:
    - http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10558.aspx,
    - http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10286.aspx.

Few students have an ideal learning environment, often parents must choose the least-worst fit. Often parents may choose an environment which is somewhat flexible and open to advocacy. Finding the positives in a learning environment may enhance the "fit".

P
    P
    Are you sure your money wouldn't be better spent on enrichment or home schooling.

B
    B
    I think there are some huge red flags that it's not going to work out the way you hope, but it may (or may not) work better than the public school. I would go in and ask to see the actual textbooks and compare to what she is already doing. Look up the math textbook online and find out what grade level it is listed as. Ask if she can "test out" of certain levels of math if she does well on their computerized assessment. Try to figure out how much of an improvement this would actually be (if any) and if it's worth the money. I think flexibility is key. If she ends up having unusual scores, would be be willing to adjust the curriculum or not? And would it depend on the teacher and the teacher's personal feelings? What happens next year if this teacher is good but the next one is not on board with the plan? That's what I'm wondering about DS right now (in public)...First teacher was mediocre but at least could see he was gifted and tried to give him enriched work. Second teacher was awful. Third teacher bent over backwards and said that he would never do any work that was meaningless for him. She worked with him one-on-one each day and gave him work that was actually a little too advanced at times. Current teacher seems to be really trying to figure out his level and is not making him sit thru all lectures. She is listening to my input. Next year....who knows????? So even if the administration is willing to be flexible, which is huge, in such a small school it also depends on the attitudes of the teachers. I would go in and talk to the teacher she would have next year as well, before making any decisions.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    What would I do without this site???
    Also, I forgot to mention what we found out in the Spring that DD is ADHD inattentive. Would that change your advice to us? I have cut and pasted all the replies and sent them on to DH. We will have a big talk. The school wants us to start Oct. 1, but I think our decision will be NOT to make a decision right now until we know more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM