Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
    It was a bit hairy, but I have to say that being in such a rush to get out he has been the same ever since! I do know that since then my feet have not touched the ground.

I often wonder if his strong visual spatial strengths and strong maths skills are due to damage to his left brain. He is also left handed.

ST. Pauli Girl - I couldn't here him on the floor above. But once I got off the elevator, turned the corner and could see the NICU, approached the outer door to the hand scrubbing room, I could hear her screaming her head off....those poor nurses lol. BUt you know how it goes. No one is watching them to see them rooting. So then the baby has to start screaming to get attention. By the time they call me, and I make the long walk down, she'd be beside herself. They had her swaddled, with towels all around her trying to keep her in one place and she kept getting to the edges of the incubator and turning herself around lol. I'm in for trouble!!!!! LOL.

S
    S
    all right I guess I'll jump in... can I just say at the outset that I hate nursing (currently breastfeeding #5, 7 weeks) - I'm a complainer! If it weren't for food allergies, and the mere thought of weaning, I probably would have already quit lol. I'm aiming for a year (my last one weaned at 11 months, I only pumped a few months for the twins, and nursed my first one for 9 months). DH and I were both bottle fed, and he's HG, so I don't think it hurt him much. My kids have had various latch issues, plenty of pain involved, etc.; what's up with that...

as for labor and delivery stories - following several failed IVF cycles and jumping head first into adoption, I conceived my first thanks to my own research - had to argue with my doc, etc. Long story, but thank goodness for the internet smile

#1 DD7 was delivered at term by scheduled section for breech (left handed, visual-spatial, 5 lbs 14 oz, speech delay, sensory and vision processing issues, etc. - this was the only pregnancy for which I was not taking anticoagulants for clotting issues)

#2 and #3 DS5 (right handed, 4 lbs 15 oz, speech delay) and DS5 (left handed, visual-spatial, 3 lbs 13 oz, speech delay, developmental delays, sensory processing issues) delivered vaginally with epidural after PROM at 33 weeks; 12 and 18 days in the nicu; I had plenty of bedrest beforehand

#4 DS2 delivered vaginally with epidural - ah my one child who has not had developmental and speech delays smile (knock on wood lol), 7 lbs 9 oz

#5 DS(7 weeks; 6 lbs 14 oz) delivered vaginally, no time for epidural or any meds - that was not my plan LOL - what an experience - long story. I'd still prefer to have the epi (if only so that I could enjoy the delivery rather than thinking "get that thing away from me" lol when they offered to place him on my chest; I was shaking too much), but if we ever were to have another I doubt there would be time (not to mention the anticoagulants I was on). I went from 5 cm to delivering in under 90 minutes; total labor 5 hours. My contractions were 6 minutes apart when I called the OB to tell her I was coming in; guess next time I'd go in even earlier whether they let me or not lol. With the kind of pain I was having, I was afraid of rupture this time (my third vbac), but it all worked out.

I'm tired now - time for a quick nap while I have the chance - ds(7 wks) was up at midnight, 3 am, 5 am, 6 am, etc. (big kids were up at 6:11)

I can't believe I have this many biological kids after so much infertility treatment. How did I get here... (and now the OB is hounding me about contraception! I'm 40, and won't really be fertile till I stop nursing and go back on metformin).

smile

acs Offline
    "and now the OB is hounding me about contraception! I'm 40, and won't really be fertile till I stop nursing and go back on metformin" Professionally, I have seen lots and lots of women who got pregnant while breastfeeding and many others who had unexpected pregnancies after years of infertility. Neither of these are great forms of birth control! Unless you are open to having more kids, I'd follow the doctor's advice.

acs #20168 07/14/08 08:34 PM
    I second acs's advice - i was just having this conversation about a friend who now has 2 kids within 1 year of each other (she thought she was safe due to all the BF).

A friend's wife is pregnant with their 4th kid. She is 40. The other kids are post-college or in college. It can happen!!!

Some people here have met my little surprise package... I cried so hard when I learned I was pregnant again, as my pregnancies are so tough. But I am so grateful to have her now...

#20242 07/15/08 04:42 PM
    Lorel - don't feel like the lone ranger, Tonto is right behind you. With my strict bedrest, I need someone to take care of the kids. When I was pg w/ DS#2, MIL moved in with us. After DS2 was born, she said never again. It'd been a long time since she cared for a toddler lol. So when I found out I was pg w/ DD, I cried and cried. I called DH sobbing on the phone. He thought someone had died. Luckily, my uterus behaved (and a new multivit+stool softener really cut down on my ctx - is that TMI?) and given that I was driving DS#2 to preK, and cooking light dinners, I managed to carry her to 35weeks. The boys would sort the laundry, drag the basket to the stairs, launch it downstairs, go to the bottom and put the clothes back in it, and put them in the washer. I'd then start the washer. Dh would then transfer the clothes to the dryer when he got home from work. That seems like ages ago.... Dd is now 1.5yrs old!

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 07/15/08 04:47 PM.
    Apropos of nothing, I read this:

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    When I was pg w/ DS#2,

as "When I was profoundly gifted with DS#2..."

LOL! It took me a couple of reads to figure out that in this context, "pg" meant "preggers." Doh!

Laughing at myself!

Kriston
    LOL I wrote the exact same thing in another thread when I first came to this board. Someone wrote "pg DD" and I read "pregnant DD". I spent too much time on pg boards while on bedrest. WHen I see PG I think "profoundly gifted" but not when I see "pg."

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM