Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 209 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #201527 09/20/14 08:47 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    At school, we have certain math classes for kids in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. They are the following:

6th grade: Math 6(regular), Pre-Algebra(Map scores of 240 above), and Algebra 1(For 7th graders(Map scores 250 above).

7th graders: Algebra 1(For 7th graders) and Algebra 1(For 8th graders(256 MAP Score)

8th: Algebra 1(For 8th graders), Algebra 2(260 above MAP Score)

The reason that there are Algebra 1 for 7 and 8 grade is because if you take Algebra 1 in 6th grade, you have no math classes in 8th so they separate them into to classes. Algebra 1 7th grade covers chapters 1-6. Algebra 1 8th grade covers 5-13. My question is that recently, I took the NWEA MAP test and I scored a 284 and I am in the 7th grade. Most of my friends scored in the 220-265 and only 6 of them are in Algebra for 8th grade. I was placed in Algebra for 7th grade so should I be in Algebra 1 8th grade or stay in Algebra 7th grade because I scored higher than my 6 friends who are in Algebra 1 8th grade. I am really confused so if you could help, it would be very appreciated.
    Thank

S
    S
    In my opinion, placement should not be dictated by MAP scores alone. The more important question is, have you already taken Algebra 1 (either at school or self-studied with an Algebra 1 text or class)? If you have not, then you may benefit from learning the entire course, regardless of your MAP score. Your algebra knowledge and skills form the basis for the rest of math to come.

If you have learned the entirety of Algebra 1 already (including the quadratic equation and so forth), then you might ask your teacher whether you could test out of the course by taking the Algebra 1 final exam (or perhaps at least testing out of the "Algebra 1 - First Half - 7th grade).

(Personally, I don't see anything wrong with teaching yourself or brushing up on some topics at home to fill in any holes before testing out of the course.)

Good luck!

Last edited by snowgirl; 09/22/14 10:18 AM.
    M
    M
    First, good job asking questions.
    Don't get hung up on MAPs or what your friends are scoring or saying
    (easier said then done, I know.)

Which Algebra 1 book are you using?

I find it interesting that they split the book and have a 2 year course.
    You can always take a peek ahead and see how you can handle the work later on in the book.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    mpg, I give you a lot of credit for looking for the answer to this question, and for wanting to have the education best suited to your needs.

I agree with the advice you've already been given above. I'll add that the MAP cutoffs your school is using are relatively conservative, compared to the recommendations made by the publisher, so it is certainly not inappropriate for your friends to be in either algebra I/7th grade or algebra I/8th grade.

On the other hand, it is helpful to understand the difference between placements based on MAP scores and placements based on actual math course performance. MAP scores do not tell you which specific math skills have been mastered by a student, only how they performed on a combined achievement test. That is, two students who obtain the same scaled score on the MAP may not know the same things. A particular example of this would be based on the types of items used on the MAP. For math, there are three kinds of problems: numeracy (also called number sense), computations (isolated calculations), and problem solving (word problems). A student may do very well on computations and numeracy, but not as well on problem solving, and receive the same score as another student, who does very well on problem solving and numeracy, but not as well on computations. Both students might qualify for algebra I based on their MAP scores, but the second student will probably grasp the concepts more easily--but end up with a lower grade in the class because of frequent calculation errors.

When schools and guardians make placement decisions, they generally take multiple factors into consideration. Standardized test data is one, parent preference is another, and--probably the most important one in most schools--last year's math grade and teacher recommendation is a third.

I'm not saying that any of the scenarios I'm about to list are actually true of you, but, from having worked at all levels from k-12, these are some examples of situations that I've seen result in lower placements than test scores would predict: teacher perception of insufficient effort or commitment to the class the previous year (such as not turning in homework); poor attendance; poor behavior in class; not paying attention in class (or not participating); teacher/parent perception that the homework demands of the new class will be too much; not having the prerequisite courses (in this case, Algebra I for seventh graders while in the sixth grade).

We don't know what your particular circumstances are outside of your test data, but if you are willing to put in the work in the more challenging course (keeping in mind that you won't receive formal instruction for the first half of the book, and will probably have to play catch-up on your own time for the first couple of months), then I would start some respectful inquiries into what you might be able to do to earn a transfer into the other class. And if any of the situations I listed in the previous paragraph do happen to apply to you, begin thinking about how you will respond if school staff say that this was one of the factors that resulted in your lower placement. Think about how you will demonstrate that this is something that you are committed to changing for the better, and prepare a specific improvement plan to present as part of your case for moving up.

Last edited by aeh; 09/22/14 11:42 AM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM