Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #201648 09/22/14 08:51 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    So, my Ds (the gifted one with dysgraphia, dyspraxia, EDS) would like to do Math Olympiad at school this year. How bad of an idea is it for him? Does anyone know? I am always hesitant to sign him for stuff like this because of his disabilities . But then I get annoyed (as does he) that he (discouraged? can't? afraid?) participate in stuff like this b/c he is not neurotypical. So, I just signed him up and decided - we'll just see how it goes. Now I am wondering if anyone here has had their 2e child participate and how it went?

ETA - the teacher running the club knows my DS well. He went to her enrichment math pull-out class all last year. She has been to our iep meetings. She was actually the 1st teacher (the only one so far actually) who was all like "does anyone see that this kid has some sort of writing problem?"

Last edited by Irena; 09/22/14 08:54 AM.
    Irena #201651 09/22/14 09:13 AM
    Z
    Z
    The Math Olympiad problems do not inherently require a lot of writing, they are thinking problems with a single numeric answer. My borderline-dysgraphic son has more trouble with being willing to write down intermediate steps and rushing through problems with the wrong assumption than anything else.

His outside of school math club talks through the problems and solutions with minor notes on a white board. If discussions aren't central to your school's club, then encouraging that is probably of benefit to everyone.

Irena #201654 09/22/14 09:25 AM
    R
    R
    I think its a great idea. If this is MOEMs it doesn't require you to write beyond the answer(no showing work). If it Math Kangaroo, that's multiple choice as are the AMC tests at the next level. The teacher likes and understands him. Sounds ideal, why wouldn't you do it.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by raptor_dad
    I think its a great idea. If this is MOEMs it doesn't require you to write beyond the answer(no showing work). If it Math Kangaroo, that's multiple choice as are the AMC tests at the next level.

I am pretty sure it is MOEMs! Yay, I am glad it is a possibility regardless of it is Moems, Kangaroo or AMC!

The teacher likes and understands him.

Well, now, let's not get carried away! She knows of his issues. Not sure she actually likes him!
    LOL In fact, at this point I am not sure how she will react when she sees he signed up. She could be discouraging if she sees him as a pita. He was in her pull-out not because of her but because he passed a test every month.

Sounds ideal, why wouldn't you do it.

I don't know, I just get nervous with outside class stuff in a way. Inside "class" he has an iep - people can't mess with that. Outside activities - they just don't seem to be or feel inclusive to me. (this is just my own feeling - I could be wrong overall). Like, my son loves to creative write but needs either a scribe or to do it on a computer so any creative writing camps often are very discouraging. They very reluctant/unhappy to have him. They often cite that he will not be happy or he'll have a bad experience as their reason for reluctance. I just wondered if it'll be the same with this... But, yeah, the teacher of the club does fully know about his disability; so, there will not be that learning curve where I have to educate and explain, etc. while watching the reluctance and fear creep across the person's face !

Last edited by Irena; 09/22/14 09:42 AM.
    Irena #201656 09/22/14 09:47 AM
    E
    E
    You might find this interesting, Irena. The school is obligated to support him in extracurriculars as well as during school time.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    The Math Olympiad problems do not inherently require a lot of writing, they are thinking problems with a single numeric answer. My borderline-dysgraphic son has more trouble with being willing to write down intermediate steps and rushing through problems with the wrong assumption than anything else.

His outside of school math club talks through the problems and solutions with minor notes on a white board. If discussions aren't central to your school's club, then encouraging that is probably of benefit to everyone.

Thanks Zen! Feeling more optimistic it really will be fun for him!

Irena #201658 09/22/14 09:48 AM
    R
    R
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Well, now, let's not get carried away! She knows of his issues. Not sure she actually likes him!
    LOL In fact, at this point I am not sure how she will react when she sees he signed up. She could be discouraging if she sees him as a pita. He was in her pull-out not because of her but because he passed a test every month.

If she understands him well enough to be an ally and advocate at IEP meetings that is pretty good. If you feel she gets your kid in a way other teachers don't, that may be as good as it gets.

If you are concerned, I would ask her what she thinks.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Irena

If she understands him well enough to be an ally and advocate at IEP meetings that is pretty good. If you feel she gets your kid in a way other teachers don't, that may be as good as it gets.

If you are concerned, I would ask her what she thinks.

True!

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    You might find this interesting, Irena. The school is obligated to support him in extracurriculars as well as during school time.

Thanks, ElizabethN. Good info!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM