Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    Dubsyd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    We have applied to a new school for DS5 for next year that we really like. Fingers crossed he will get offered a place. We are going overseas for Christmas and missing the end of the term, so DS only has 7 weeks left at his current school if he gets into the new school for next year.

We have done some advocating with the school this year, and they have been relatively open to us, but we still feel that DS is being given work well below his ability and not actually learning much academically except for a weekly science pullout class.

We recently received the results of his latest assessment, and it supports the idea that his ability level is well above the work they are currently giving him in math and reading. DS's teacher is on leave for the final school term, so he will have two new teachers each taking half the week. I am wondering if it is worthwhile trying to talk to the school or the teachers in light of the new report. Part of me thinks it is just 7 weeks so I won't bother. I asked him about the work he is doing, and he said it is easy, but he is still enjoying school. Obviously if he does not get in to the new school we will be advocating for next year, but with the teacher changes, two different teachers, and only 7 weeks left, it seems like maybe it is best just to let things go for now.

Any thoughts?

M
    M
    I think at this point in time I would go with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it..." If he continues to be happy, then I'd leave it alone.

That said, I'd reevaluate a few weeks in and see how he's doing - still happy? then no problem. Hating school suddenly - I'd set up some time with both teachers, as by then they will have gotten to know him and be better able to relate what you say to the child they know from class.

Good luck! Not an easy situation.

“...million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”
    -Terry Pratchett
    The only positive from getting him moved up that I can see would be that it could be the point from which you resume his education overseas rather than having to go through it all over again in the new school.

Become what you are

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM