Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    T
    T
    DS7 was tested at 4 as part of a an ASD eval, and while we didn't regret it, it wasn't that useful either. Some of the subtests he bombed because he was uncomfortable with the testing format. We ended up not needing any testing for early entry (where we live, at the Principals discretion if the child's birthday iS within three months of the cutoff) as he was such an obvious candidate (at that point, it was fairly clear that the ASD suspicion was way off the mark).
    The testing at seven gave us much more useful information, and we'll be able to use it for entry into a gifted program in fifth grade.
    You test if you have to. If you feel early entry is a better (or even the only) acceleration option rather than a rapid skip or direct entry into 1st, have him take whatever test the school wants and hope it's the right choice, you'll only know in hindsight anyway.
    Early entry (in our case into 1st, as we are in Europe) has worked out ver y well so far for him, despite his FSIQ in the 150s. He has friends and likes school (he'd better, homeschooling is illegal). We are mulling over a second acceleration directly into the gifted program in fifth, but aren't there yet and may not ever be. The public gifted program is highly regarded among gifties parents (yes, even of pg kids)and we hope it won't be axed for political reasons. So a hopeful story for you! Doesn't mean I don't worry and agonize, but the really bad stuff I have been afraid of (bullying etc,my own elementary experience was traumatic) hasn't happened so far,

Last edited by Tigerle; 09/17/14 12:55 PM.
    G
    GGG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by ashley
    Please go to your local public K's website or call them for a copy of the K curriculum so that you can set your expectations correctly. If your child is advanced and PG, you may be surprised that the K curriculum is not much different from an average preschool curriculum (in the "strong" school districts in CA). They talk about "number sense", finger strengthening activities like coloring, art, craft, sight words, rhyming words and maybe, if your school district is very strong, they might do a few hands on science experiments and a few field trips.
    What we needed from them was help with learning to write legibly (which was my DS's weakness), but they never taught how to write the letters correctly and instead gave them sheets of paper with letters to trace without monitoring or helping them.
    I suggest that you have a backup plan in case you choose to send your child to public school - which was after schooling in our case. We taught from curriculum and used many online programs like Dreambox, EPGY etc.
    We then switched to a rigorous private school that accelerates DS in Math, Science and LA. We feel that he finds the math too easy, so we after school math now.
    Testing at 4 is a good option - it shows you what the strengths and weaknesses are at an early age.

Thank for you the suggestions about Dreambox and EPGY. We live in CA and I'm a former Special Education teacher with a lot of friends still in the education system. They have helped update me on the newest standards and I have looked online. He's definitely past K and even in mid-1st at this point. He started writing sentences in the past few days on his own and spelling. I got the Handwriting Without Tears App to help him with his letters. He does them on his own and I can already see that I probably should have shown him how and not just let him do it on his own. But nonetheless, he's writing and I am so happy that his writing is catching up to his reading ability. I know from reading about gifted children and on these forums that fine motor can be a challenge for them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM