Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    We're in South africa, and my son would probably qualify as dysgraphic - hasn't had any testing done, but from the descriptions and from looking at writing samples online, I think it's very likely. We recently did an assessment with Edublox and they basically said he's gone unchallenged for so long at school that he simply never learnt any of the cognitive skills he needs to apply when he is challenged... obviously there's more to it than that, his auditory memory and visual processing/perception are poor, so while he reads very well, his comprehension isn't quite *there*. And his handwriting is really nowhere near grade level...

We have just started their program, and it made me wonder if anyone else here had heard about it or tried it.

What is audiblox:
    http://www.edublox.com/int/what-is-audiblox.htm

Does it really work?:
    http://www.edublox.com/int/faq4.htm

“...million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”
    -Terry Pratchett
    K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I used Audiblox with my dyslexic son when he was 8 or 9. At the time I didn't know he had dyslexia. It was the most fringe-y thing we did for remediation.

About 3-4 months after starting Audiblox, my son went from laboriously sounding out every word to reading fluently. I believe that the Audiblox might have been the thing that helped that along. The exercise that I believe helped the most was the little flashcards with the words where you put two down quickly one after the other and then cover them and ask what the words were.

I
    I
    I wonder if it really helps with dysgraphia?

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Irena, we're starting to get a better idea of the root of DS's issues, and I think depending on the root(I don't want to say cause) of their dysgraphia, I think this will definitely help.

For instance, we had no idea that DS hasn't automated direction. It's something they picked up during their testing - he has to work it out every time, and he's now hit a place where doing that is making him extremely slow. One of the exercises works on getting the brain to automate direction, then moves onto the b d p q automation. DS didn't want to do the exercises at home at first, I think he felt embarrassed that he can't do it really fast, but we cleared a room and I told him we only have to do 2 mins a day, and he doesn't even have to finish the page in those 2 mins (which was his main concern).

It also made us wonder why no one at his school ever picked up on this. At home I always just kind of thought he was goofing or hadn't been giving all his attention, because there'd always be a "uh... what? oh... left" kind of response.

Sorry... waffling. But looking at how he forms his letters, I think directionality is one of the big issues for him, as is perspective - letters in relation to each other as well as overall on a line/page. But they are apparently going to help him with that as well, and they are really confident this will work for him.

We've done the OT, he graduated out of it. We've looked at other programs and workbooks etc to try at home, but for us, right now, I think this is the right thing to try.

I'll let you know how it goes.

“...million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”
    -Terry Pratchett

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM