Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    [quote=indigo] I've been looking for sources, can you point me to where you find these standards?[quote]

You may be interested in this document in particular "Designing High School Mathematics Courses Based on the Common Core State Standards"

It outlines four pathways, two of which are compacted to allow for the study of calculus or other college-level mathematics courses in high school. Ultimately, what will affect what our kids can do is not determined so much by the Common Core Standards as they are by how individual school districts implement them. I'm going to keep a careful eye on what my DD (11, grade 6, taking Algebra I next year) is learning in her classes and supplement as necessary.

Originally Posted by Mk13
    Here's all I have to say about CC at this point. Get the high school and middle school kids (who actually ARE a college material) ready for college, but don't feed it to the little elementary kids who should first learn to love learning and not be compared to benchmarks all year long.

THIS!!

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.
    I sincerely hope that the Common Core does not follow the same trajectory as NCLB. I will admit that I supported NCLB at first thinking that it was merely extra support for struggling students instead of holding the more able ones back as it turned out to be when implemented as No Child Let Beyond.

One positive that I see with all of this data driven teacher assessment is that our kids are tested at the beginning of the year using the EOY benchmark. It should be far easier to persuade a teacher (who will basically be penalized for failing students) that our kids should be allowed to do more advanced work supplied by parents in the classroom time when they know that they will clear the EOY bar with ease - in theory, at least.

Last edited by madeinuk; 04/14/14 06:28 AM. Reason: Incoherence reduction

Become what you are
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Originally Posted by Dude
    When we're talking about standards, we're talking about minimums. We're describing a floor, not a ceiling.
    I've been looking for statements along those lines from common core, but have found none. Instead the message I have found from common core is a video which values uniformity. If you have found statements from common core sources which state the standards are a floor, not a ceiling, would you please share them?
    http://wunc.org/post/fact-check-clearing-7-common-core-claims
    Thank you for sharing this link, however it is not from common core sources, but rather a blog post from wunc npr in North Carolina. Common core sources would include the webpages from the official website, CoreStandards.Org.

Z
    Z

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thank you, Zen.

- The document for Illinois states "... Moreover, the Common Core raises the floor; it does not impose a ceiling."
    - North Dakota: "It is vital to remember the Common Core State Standards are a floor, not a ceiling."
    - Colorado: "Standards advance equity of outcomes for students by setting a bar for student performance, defining the floor but not the ceiling of student learning."
    - Wisconsin, slide 7 of 31: "Standards set a minimum bar—a floor, not a ceiling. They are designed only to help define outcomes to help ensure that all students have the opportunity to learn the content they need to succeed."

Although not sourced from the official common core website, these are sourced from websites of States who were adopters. It is better than nothing; it provides scant leverage when advocating. Hopefully each one of these States, and the schools in them, will be glad to be held accountable in living up to their promise to not allow the standards to become a ceiling.

Thanks again Zen, for now the epic quest can rest.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM