Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 60 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
    M
    M
    My ds in 6th is taking Honors Algebra 1, he took pre-algebra in 5th and is on the same track as Quantum2003 describes with Geometry in 7th and Algebra 2 in 8th. There was one 4th grade boy that skipped up to 5th last year so he is on the same track and 1 year younger. These are all labeled Honors classes and are very rigorous.

This is a middle school 5th through 8th. They have 3 other math classes labeled
    Math 1, Math 2, and Foundations of Algebra. Most kids start 5th with Math 2. Everyone in the school is expected to at least pass Honors Algebra 1 by 8th grade.

I am sure there are situations that arise.

N
    N
    Is mine the only school district where they cover Algebra and Algebra 2 consecutively, with Geometry after? The typical progression is Algebra 1 by 8th, but the gifted 8ths take Algebra2/Trig at the high school. This works well for them because Trig is a pre-req for our Chem 1Honors, so they can take that freshman year.

N
    N
    In our District advanced and Magnet appear to be the only ones that don't have it consecutively. I believe the typical is either accelerated pre algebra-accelerated algebra or pre-algebra-algebra for 7th and 8th graders. Geometry I believe would be 9th and 10th grade. Geometry is considered a 200 level (10th grade) at the high school. In my daughters case 8th is Algebra 2/Pre calculus followed by Trig/Calculus A.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    We place our incoming 9th graders who've had either alg I or geom into alg II, and all others into alg I, from which they proceed to geo, alg II. (In an attempt to have most 10th graders sync up at geometry.) So some have i, ii, geo, and others have i, geo, ii.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    I think I posted on this once before, but I can't find the dang thing.

We have to choose a math track for DD (about to start middle school). I'm curious what other districts in other parts of the country typically do for high achievers. We have a couple of different "honors" tracks available, all of which are more rigorous than what I took years ago. I don't really want to post our options because I am paranoid about identifying myself, but I'm curious as to what is seen as de rigeur for students applying to competitive schools these days. DD is a good math student, but math is not her forte.

The district makes a big deal out of "Once you make this choice, that's IT" (probably not totally true) so this does feel somewhat significant.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I think I posted on this once before, but I can't find the dang thing.
    Maybe it was the thread Typical middle school math progression? you started on 2014-09-16.

N
    NGR Offline
    N
    This is a very important question. It's smart of you to be looking into it now. Let me warn you that the district is correct that once you get on a particular math track, it is very difficult to switch because each teach math using different methods. One is more theoretical and the other is more rote.

What I have observed is that there are typically two to three tracks in good school districts. The lower level track is the Common Core track. It is a blend of pre algebra, algebra, and some geometry and other concepts. The child learns a little of each every year but at a deeper level so it's slowed down. If you take this track, be sure to supplement because Common Core students are not taught to memorize math facts or algorithms and really struggle with higher level math. The traditional track consists of pre algebra, algebra, geometry, algebra II, trigonometry/pre calculus, calculus I, calculus II, calculus, III (or statistics, computer science, IB math etc). The Common Core math track makes it very difficult for the child to reach calculus in high school so it's definitely not an option for a math or science prodigy. Opponents of traditional math say children are pushed into abstract math classes before they are devepmentally ready and without the foundation of understanding.

In my school district all children are in the common core math in elementary school through 7th grade, then algebra I begins in 8th grade for advanced learners. If you want your child to begin the traditional path before 8th grade, the child has to take the 7th grade common core test and get at least 95% correct. It's a high bar for even gifted learners. I noticed my school district has stopped offering calculus. Obviously, I'm very concerned.

B
    B
    I have a really long post in my mind but I'm about to go out, I'll write more later. Is your school using Common Core? If so keep in mind that Common Core changes the 'typical' track.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Bostonian, yes, that was it! How did you find that? The search function failed me.

DD took a placement test and qualified for the most advanced track, which will culminate in 11th grade calc (12th grade TBD, basically, but there are options...again, I don't want to specify too much). She also has an "advanced" track available, which culminates in 12th grade calc.

Last edited by ultramarina; 01/04/16 09:20 AM.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Bostonian, yes, that was it! How did you find that? The search function failed me.
    It was the first Google search result for "davidson gifted forum math course progression".

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM