Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    My second son is 4 and in 1/2 day church play based preschool. This year, they do ask the kids to keep a journal and do worksheets practicing letters. This morning he said he didn't want to go to school and was giving me a really hard time getting ready. Once in the car, I asked why he didn't want to go to school. "I don't like the table work I have to do with all the worksheets."

My first son started complaining in Februrary of prek, not September. School's just started. Worried about how this year is gonna go now:(

I do love the teachers. They do many hands on activities too (last week, they made apple pie for "a" week, and a boxasaurus for "b" week.)

I'm hoping he'll settle in. Otherwise, it's gonna be a long year. And a long school career!

C
    C
    Sounds like it is a good preschool, how is your son now? Is he still refusing to go to school?
    Other than writing, does he like to draw or coloring too? Does he like to make up a story? May be try to encourage him to do the worksheets, e.g. tell him that he can write his own bk if he knows how to write the letters, it is fun. If you like the teacher and like this preschool, seems better to keep him there. Do you know is it a lot of worksheets or just a page? I think a page is fine for them to start learning letters.

H
    H
    I really understand this. My 4-yr-old has been reading since before 3 but still won't write/color/draw at all and is very stressed out by worksheets. We are actually in the process of getting him evaluated for SPD and possibly needing OT to help him with motor skills. It is my understanding that this could be an excitability in relation to giftedness. I'm not saying that is what is going on with your son, but I offer my support and very much understand what you're going through.

M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Cynthialcy-
    Thanks for you thoughts. I do plan to keep him where he is. I love his teachers and the school. From what I understand, it's one worksheet and 1 page in his journal. He loves to draw and create stories (actually much more than his older brother ever did).

Honestly, I think he already recognizes he is different from the kids at school. He is also very strong willed, (and with my older son's writing issues) I've never pushed writing or any formal teaching. In thinking about this more, older ds dealt with preschool better, because he was used as a leader/ teacher which he loved. My younger son doesn't want to deal with kids that don't function on his level and refuses to do anything "for babies".

At this point, I plan to continue to be positive about preschool until the teachers contact me. We'll see. I can continue to let him grow and explore at home. Hoping he will settle in though.

C
    C
    Is it the first year for him to go to preschool? My 3 yo is still adjusting to preschool, hope they will settle soon.
    Yup, i think can't find someone that function on the same level is the main problem, as they like to keep thinking, making joke, etc.

A
    A
    Frankly, and this is my personal opinion, 4 year olds are not well suited to confined table work; doubly so if the child has known the material being covered since he was 2 (or younger)! I think so many preschools do children a disservice by forcing pen and paper desk work. The situation is even more unfortunate when otherwise creative, inquisitive children are forced to regress in academic skills to conform to a classroom routine.

Does your son enjoy the program otherwise?

You say the preschool is play-based--perhaps it's worth a quick drop-in meeting with the teacher to explain that your son has permission to be exempt from worksheets.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    R
    R
    Originally Posted by Melessa
    My second son is 4 and in 1/2 day church play based preschool. This year, they do ask the kids to keep a journal and do worksheets practicing letters.

I don't understand? It can either be a play based pre-school that offers the OPTION to do worksheets etc or it is perhaps a gently focused academic preschool. There really isn't a middle ground. The only loosely required academic activity at my kids' preschool was signing in daily. Other than that there were optional activities and teacher read alounds and such at group time but nothing required.

There isn't any thing wrong with more academic pre-schools but lets not confuse the issue by claiming to be a play based preschool with journals and worksheets. That would have tortured DS8 who is very outwardly bright and very stubborn. It also would have crushed DS5 who is starting K this year and is less obviously bright, perhaps dysgraphic, and very shy.

Last edited by raptor_dad; 09/19/14 12:44 PM.
    M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Raptor_dad- First, the school itself says it's play based. From my older son being in the same class a few years ago, it's mostly play. It is associated with a church and he's there less than 3 hours a day. During that time, he starts and ends on the playground, with recess as well. When they complete their worksheet, they can play in the classroom. There is music, chapel, and snack. In saying this, the school does work to prepare kids for kindergarten. (We live in a high achieving, competitive public school district.)

Cynthialcy- ds has been at this school since age 2. He seems to like his teachers and the activities, just not the work.

Aquinas- I agree that 4 year olds shouldn't have to do worksheets. When the teachers spoke to me about my older son (ds7 starting refusing to do the worksheets by Feb of his year), they explained the worksheets in prek was exposure and an idea of what kindergarten would be like (sooo many worksheets there which made me sick). I may try to reach out to the teachers since it is on September and May is a long way away. Maybe they have some ideas about how to handle this?

Side note: what is very interesting is these teachers told me ds7 would not do well in public school. They were totally right. My dh and I are wondering what they will say about this son. Yikes!

P
    P
    It doesn't sound play based. At play based pre schools you don't have recess because you have free access to indoor and outdoor play all the time. There may be some worksheets but they are put on a table for the kids to do if they choose the same as play dough is. No one has to do playdough or anything else although the teachers do provide extra support and encouragement to kids who need to develop certain skills. The only compulsory activity would be mat time (10 mins) to enable staff to set up for snacks or gather the kids together for collection. Even then if a kid really objects they wouldn't be forced but instead redirected.

Eta. My kids often didn't want to go to preschool but mostly it was because the wanted to stay home with me. Since I worked when they were at preschool.it wasn't an option butif it had been I would have only sent them twice a week.

Last edited by puffin; 09/19/14 02:19 PM.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by raptor_dad
    There isn't any thing wrong with more academic pre-schools

I agree and it comes down to what would be a good fit for a particular child.

If he is having fun doing journal and worksheet then it's a non-issue but if he is resenting doing these "busy work" then, I'd intervene. He shouldn't have to do desk work at age 4, especially if it's making him miserable.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM