Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 166 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    I'm not sure I understand the huge avoidance/dislike of labels. Maybe due to not being in the USA, our systems work differently. But here, there's no central database (that I know of anyway, who knows!) where they are storing every diagnosis/label and sharing it across the board with every medical professional and school in the area. Unless we choose to share what we learn via various tests/assessments, then no-one has to know.

I always kind of thought of a diagnosis/label as a tool that helps me to help my child - or to get him the help he needs. As we have moved away from some "labels" I'm finding we often jump to another, and I'd guess it's going to probably continue like this for a while as we seem to have layers of issues and as we deal with one we start to notice another.

IME... I wish we had taken DS7 to an OT earlier for a sensory evaluation. I wish we had worked on his issues earlier, before K instead of at the end of K, start of 1st. I think that would have made for a much easier start to his school career. That said, the school is just completely unwilling to consider anything other than ADD as a reason for poor concentration, and they only have 1 answer to "ADD" = medicate. So maybe we would still be where we are now. But looking back at how the meltdowns/shutdowns disappeared, I still wish we'd done the OT earlier. So I'd side with the get-in-early crowd I guess.

“...million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”
    -Terry Pratchett
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you everyone. I have read your responses a few times over. Just soaking it all in. We are still waiting on the Pedi to confirm an appointment. It's taking a bit longer then I expected. DS is still having some trouble socializing in school but it doing very well in my book. Will keep you posted.

G
    GHS Offline
    G
    My DD is 4 and in Kindergarden this year. Per teachers request she is also in OT (was requested at the end of last year during the mid-year skip). She loves it and calls it gym. There is no "labeling" of her as far as I can tell. They skipped her at the same time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM