Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My son did not test as well as he should have on the GATE test, and I'm wondering whether I should appeal as we do have another test that shows he is HG+.

If your child is in the GATE program, either the normal GATE or the HG+ GATE in the Los Angeles Unified School District, please let me know what your experience has been.

LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Waits, thanks so much for answering.. smile

I thought you could only get it one of four ways:

OLSAT (Achievement)
    IQ test (Intellectual)
    CST test scores above a certain number in both categories (moot now that we have changed to common core and no longer get those tests) -again achievement
    For talented, there is a portfolio that has to be submitted to the powers that be and approved.

I didn't know it could be on teacher recommendation, I thought that was just to get the IQ test...?

Maybe the applicable school just lets them into GATE without the orange folder? Is that what you mean?

If this is true, it makes me feel better as that means that teachers (who arguably spend a lot of time with the kids) and who would really know what kind of differentiation they would need would have some say about it.

LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ah now I see... well thanks so much Waits! Do your friends think that the program is a good one? Is it working for them?

LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I do know some parents that sign the papers without realizing they've signed anything, BUT they also send home something home a couple of days before that says on such and such a day your child will be tested for admission into GATE (at least for the IQ test) and to make sure the child gets a good nights sleep and eats a good breakfast. So I would find it hard to believe they would miss that.

I think if any of these kids are in the 3rd grade that they could also have gotten in via the OLSAT which is given to all the kids like the CSTs were. A parent might not realize that the OLSAT was for GATE.

LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    CUT, thanks for posting. What has been your experience in the GATE program? I'm trying to figure out whether it is worth it to appeal...

LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm glad to hear your child enjoys the program! I am still pondering whether to try and go back and insist on a redo with another instrument..

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM