Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    2 members (jenjunpr, aeh), 161 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #201148 09/16/14 02:56 PM
    T
    tao Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    DS loves Life of Fred: Elementary Physics. Can anyone recommend books or other resources as next steps?
    Thank you in advance.

tao #201175 09/16/14 05:53 PM
    A
    A
    "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick.

http://www.amazon.com/Cartoon-Guide-Physics-Larry-Gonick/dp/0062731009

"GREAT, OUTSTANDING, FUN TO READ, WELL ORGANIZED and EXPLAINS a lot about the every day physics we live in".

tao #201185 09/16/14 07:22 PM

S
    S

Last edited by sully; 09/20/16 08:18 AM.
    B
    B
    The physics resources thread from two months ago listed a few books, to which I can add "The Manga Guide to Physics" and the "Mr. Tompkins" books by George Gamow, which my 11yo is reading.

S
    S
    My DD6 absolutely loves the Basher Science series. Bite size chunks about so many different topics and theories. There's one on Physics and another on Extreme Physics (as well as a host of others on science and maths).

P
    P
    Great resources on the above physics thread; we especially loved the Cartoon Guide and the Einstein book (seriously - who wouldn't want to measure the speed of light with a microwave oven and a giant chocolate bar?!). Also, Neil deGrasse Tyson's book (like Death by Black Hole), though not light reading (but great bedtime reading, according to Chay smile ). If you want to look at fiction as well, Stephen Hawking's kids novels were a big hit here. There are also tons of gorgeous "coffee table" kinds of astronomy books, and you can usually find them at book sales really cheap.

Beyond books, there is also a wealth of cool videos on the network, including tons of beautiful footage and explanations from NASA. Google "NASA youtube black holes", and DS is in ecstasy for the better part of a day (oops).

C
    C
    We haven't tried the Cartoon guide yet but DS8 currently has the three books that ohmathmom posted (thanks by the way!) on his nightstand -
    The Physics Book: From the Big Bang to Quantum Resurrection by Clifford Pickover, Albert Einstein and Relativity for Kids:...y Jerome Pohlen, and Isaac Newton and Physics for Kids: His Life and Ideas with 21 Activities Kerrie by Logan Hollihan.

All three have been a hit.

As mentioned Death by Black Hole was a big hit last year but we had to read it to him and I'll admit at times it made my head spin (and I like to think that I'm reasonably smart). DS is gifted/LD so his reading isn't as advanced as his science/math. It isn't a kids book but for an obsessed gifted kid it worked out.

We also have Cosmic Managerie (Mark A, Garlick) which is a beautiful astrophysics coffee table type book.

Lucy & Stephen Hawking's kid's books were also loved here.

The Nick and Tesla series was also a hit -
    http://nickandtesla.com/

Last edited by chay; 11/12/14 08:07 AM.
    U
    U
    My 3rd and 5th grade YSers have both enjoyed "Physics for Future Presidents." It's less a book about the laws (and math) of physics than about policy issues that involve physics (and economics).

They've also enjoyed the Physics installment of the "Handy [fill in the blank] Answer Book" series.

M
    M
    Would anyone be opposed to me merging this thread with the Physics Resources thread?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM