Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 300 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    22B Offline
    DS8 was in a k12.com free public virtual charter academy. It was easy to go quickly (self paced) through the material, and he got about 5 years ahead in math. But one problem is the course material is aimed at regular average students, not a gifted audience. Another problem was you could only use their materials. We've switched to homeschool to that we can have both self pacing and gifted level course materials.

J
    J
    My dd13 is in the G&T program. She is one of 6 kids who have all signed up for the program this fall. The other students are in the traditional Laurel Springs program. I can't tell the difference. I am trying to see where the extra tuition costs are worthwhile. The other 8th graders are also taking HS credit courses and have identical assignments.
    I have been assured that there is customization but I haven't seen it as of yet. My dd has dyslexia and loves math. With the heavy emphasis on writing everything out, she is frustrated. I think she would be happy to show her work but a typical assignment involves taking an algebraic word problem, solving it and then making up a scenario in which the formula and solution would be used. Meanwhile, she solved the problem in her head in 2 seconds and will spend 10 minutes formulating the "essay" in the response.
    I also don't seem to get a detailed answer beyond its customized from the Coordinator. If anyone has insight, I would appreciate their input.

G
    GF2 Offline
    G
    Hi, Jennemmy,

In our experience, customization comes through the teacher, and you definitely have to ask for it and it helps to go in with ideas. The key, we've found, as HK anticipates, is to make sure you're asking for harder (or as-hard) assignments. E.g., could your dd make up extra problems but express them in math not in sentences? (The writing thing is apparently a Common Core pathology. It drives us nuts too, but I gather this is widespread in all CC institutions, not just LSS. LSS is accredited in CA, so I'm guessing this is a CA and CC-driven curriculum.)

Hope this helps. We have found them VERY responsive to thoughtful requests for customization. We have even used different textbooks that are less wordy and more mathy. But, again, it was up to me to do the research and come up with a proposal for a higher-level program.

Teachers do vary. Some have a "stable" of alternative assignments that they may offer you, but you do have to ask.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM