Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #200618 09/11/14 11:35 AM
    R
    Rayson Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    I've searched the forum but haven't found a good answer. Where is a good place to purchase Singapore Math books cost effectively in the US? My children are in 3rd and 7th grades, and I am looking to use Singapore Math for enrichment.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

A
    A
    The official Singapore Math website has a store where you can purchase the books.

http://www.singaporemath.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=212

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    You can also get them at www.christianbook.com for less than on the official website. That's where I get them. Plus, they occasionally have free shipping offers.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    R
    R
    I tend to use https://www.rainbowresource.com/ for homeschool things not on amazon. They have free shipping >$50

I also tend to order my AoPS books there for faster, free shipping.

Last edited by raptor_dad; 09/11/14 12:27 PM.
    R
    Rayson Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Thank you so much for all the responses. What is the difference between US Edition, Standards and Common Core? Also, would you recommend teacher's guide or home instructor's guide?

Thanks again for all the help!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    US Edition is essentially the same as the last Singapore edition before they revised their standards, but with US units and spelling. Standards is based on the California curriculum frameworks of 2007. Common Core is based on the Common Core standards (obviously!). "Based on," in the latter two cases, means that they've aligned the presentation of topics with the grade levels indicated in the respective curriculum standards.

This page from singaporemath.com has more:

http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Primary_Math_s/15.htm

I did not use any guides, but both I and my spouse have fairly solid math backgrounds, and I have pedagogical experience. I did purchase one of the home instructor's guides to look at, and could see how it might be valuable. It is substantially cheaper than the teacher's guide, and designed more around individual students, vs the teacher's guide's group activities.

We bought only the workbooks, which worked for us because I learned most of my math at home (I was not homeschooled), from my mother, who was educated using an Asian method, so the distance between how I learned math myself and how SM teaches it was not as great as it might have been; I was able to figure out most of the approach just from the model problems. I know other families have purchased only the textbooks, which, in retrospect, probably would have made more sense, as, in addition to the instruction, there are plenty of practice exercises in them, too. I will say that my kids liked having the workbooks to write in, though. Plus the occasional math puzzle.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    B
    B
    I'd second that the textbooks seemed to be more than enough for us. There were sufficient similar problems to the workbooks within the textbook itself that I didn't really need any additional ones.

Like Ben and aeh, we didn't use the guides, only the textbooks and the accompanying levels' "Challenging Word Problems" workbooks. We used the Primary Maths US edition.

I really, really love Singapore math's approach. No way would I switch it up for Common Core.

Oh-- and if you buy from another source, be very sure that what you are buying is Singapore Math. There are a lot of look-alike and knock-off products in the homeschool marketplace, and this particular trademark isn't really well-protected. I've seen some of those knock-offs, and most are not at the same pedagogical standard.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 09/14/14 08:58 AM. Reason: pre-coffee apostrophe usage error

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    K
    K
    I was just logging on to ask this question. Thanks for the links!

R
    Rayson Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Thank you so much for all the help and advice. I've found US Edition text books for Grades 1-6 Math, but I'm lost for grades 7-12 Math. Can anyone recommend and/or shed some light on:

New Elementary Math
    Secondary Math
    Discovering Math
    Dimensions Math

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM